Supercap+252+Headline

You would need a Supercap for the NAC252 and another Supercap for the Headline. A Supercap should only be used to power one piece of equipment.

Got out the Supercap2 to warm it upā€¦ and it occurred to me (being a bit slow on techie stuff), why not swap out the HiCapDR from SN3 and try that? Soā€¦plan is, see whether the Headline or the SN3 reap the most benefit from the SC.

Keep the SCDR for the Superline, natchā€¦

This should be fun, when I get round to it!
Whereā€™s all my Manuals & Connections PDFsā€¦:smiley:

2 Likes

@Steve

Wellā€¦

Blimey. Either my HiCapDR needs a service (possible), or it just got sunk by the SuperCap2.

I only intended a very quick ā€˜letā€™s just seeā€™ comparison, so only played two songs, using my Audeze LCD3: Box Of Rain/Grateful Dead and Bowieā€™s Five Years. Volume the same each time.

More listening needed (not absolutely sure I need to) but just on this quick listen with SC2: everything is placed and layered more ā€˜naturallyā€™, more detail (Jerryā€™s voice was clearer as were the handclaps, in Box of Rain, as an example) and sense of solidity andā€¦rightness musically. Both tracks each just came together, and I justā€¦relaxedā€¦into the mystiā€¦er, music! Wellā€¦knock me down with a large haddock.

I did intend trying the SC2 on the SN3, but based on this admittedly short and non-scientific session, I donā€™t think Iā€™ll be reconnecting the Headline to the HiCapā€¦or want to.

To be fair, I am going to check the ages of the HC and the SC -it could be that the HC is older and in need of a service*. But right now, Iā€™m not sure I care!

Having an early night, but you betcha Iā€™ll continue the listening tomorrowā€¦

*Butā€¦ the SC2, being non DR, must be older?

2 Likes

so it turns out the Headline is best played with a Supercap? And not too expensive power supply to it?
If only a Headline feed?

I think best may be so. If nothing else, my ever so short first impression surprised me as to how good a Supercap seemed to be. In the cold light of day, Iā€™m thinking I must go back and listen again. Iā€™m not sure doing stuff like this when tired is the best idea!

But last night it seemed good. Very, very good.
Although I still do wonder if my HCDR is not performing at its best.

And sorry for the thread hijack, @AlexSan!
Iā€™ve never had a NAPSC (tho a friend is VERY pleased with it on his 202) or, sadly, a 252!

Stevie, I think a Supercap will definitely outperform any Hicap, even a Hicap DR.

1 Like

Yes Richard - I think Iā€™m just still surprised by how much!

And now the awful spectre of ā€œwhat would it bring to my SN3?ā€ is lurking, lolā€¦I may need another Supercap! Eekā€¦

Editā€¦listening to Khruangbin Live, thatā€™s itā€¦
SC2 stays. Just lovelyā€¦
Makes my Audeze/Headline shine.

1 Like

Qobuz hi-res -> Rasberry Pi4 / Bubble UPnP -> Uniti 1 -> Headline / SC -> Sennheiser HD700 -> Me

Me = :grinning:

Violectric HPA V281 with the relay volume control inbound from Italy (B-Stock), looking forward to the comparison.

ND5 XS2 on order to replace the Unit1 as source.

So, another question, dear forumchane! Does it make sense to buy a superсap of the 2004-2005 model year? What problems can I expect?

Itā€™ll be 16 years old, so if unserviced recently I would suggest budgeting to have that done. Otherwise, thereā€™s very little to go wrong with a Supercap.

1 Like

Understood. Collect on Supercap DR.
Letā€™s take our time.

Well, SuperCap is coming, so I have a question-how do I connect HiCap to Headline? Which cord I understand, I donā€™t understand in which sockets in HiCap.

Hi-Cap socket 4 with SLIC to power the Headline.
252 tape out to Headlineā€™s captive signal cable.

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.