SuperCap DR for SuperNait 2

Well if the guy is a friend, surely he would let you borrow it to try for a few days? A member here
( Bart) used to run a supercap with an SN2 I believe.

1 Like

He certainly would. He lives some distance from me, but I venture his way often enough during the year that he’d have no problem letting me audition it. I had just wondered if there would be consensus enough here for me to just outright purchase blind, which it seems as most have pointed out might not be worth it with the SN2 (but most certainly with other combinations).
Interesting about @Bart, though. Thanks for the heads-up!

1 Like

In your situation, I would also find it hard to resist the temptation of a bargain Supercap DR.

Although you mention that you do not want to discuss a move to separates, that still might be an option to consider for the future.

In that case, I would skip the tempting offer of the SCDR, save the money and go for either used a NAC282 or NAP250 as soon as one appears when you can afford it. As a temporary compromise, the Supernait could be used as a power amp with the 282 or as a pre-amp with the 250. The improvements would be gradual, but one day you could have a 282/HCDR/250, which I am sure will outperform the Supernait on its own.

Alternatively, just stay with the Supernait/HR combination, keep saving and improve your sources and speakers, as suggested by others.

1 Like

Thank you, @Leggit! That is a really well-thought-out set of options. I think I am in agreement here, as someday, ultimately, I would like to have that kind of combination. Nothing wrong with a gradual climb. I often forget that when I’m so often consumed with wanting the best sound now mentality. Lots to mull over. Thanks for your insight.

You could also contemplate getting the Supercap DR for the nice price, and join it with a Superline. (I have been looking for that opportunity as well, as I now run a SN2 with a Superline + HiCap). Then the gradual climb could even reach the Nac 252, should it present itself (as you already would have the Supercap DR and then could run the Superline directly from the Nac 252) :slight_smile: All these possibilities…

Regards

2 Likes

Well, I went ahead and pulled the trigger for the Supercap. I am traveling to get it this weekend. I think it would be a good move for the future, as many here have attested to. As for doing anything for the SN2, I am likely in agreement with @Guinnless and elsewhere I’ve read that it would only use two rails like the HC, so am uncertain how a SQ improvement would be achieved.
Thanks to everyone’s insight, as usual!

1 Like

I look forward to reading about your findings.

1 Like

I will, indeed, report on how it sounds…hopefully there’s something to report. :grin:

1 Like

My dealer says if I’m even thinking about a 252 someday from where I’m at (SN3), don’t overlook the Supercap as it’s needed. It could be the perfect 1st step for me.

2 Likes

My thoughts as well. I know someday I’ll go to separates again; it’s just the one box (well, two with the HCDR) is so nice right now, and has SQ I wasn’t at all prepared for, so I haven’t really had the itch to upgrade. That said, the pre/amp/SCDR combo will no doubt bring out significant performance from my speakers as has been pointed out. I can’t ignore that.

1 Like

I hope you will be pleased with the sc. I’m sure you will be and you have your first component in the upgrade path. I have a sc(non dr), nac 82, and 250-2. The sc replaced two hicaps I was running on the 82. Despite some peoples observation on here, I found the sc is an improvement even though it’s technical capabilities aren’t being fully used. Enjoy.

3 Likes

Thank you, @bruss for your sentiment and comments. It’s good to hear of your experiences with the SC. Now that I’ve gone ahead and confirmed the buy, I’m actually pretty excited and glad I didn’t pass it up.

3 Likes

Nope not me! I ran my SN2 with and without a HiCap2. I did not find the addition of the HC to be a substantial improvement as I recall. It was quite a few years ago.

Sorry Bart, I recall someone on the old forum did run a Supercap with SN2. For some reason your name popped into my head, I’ll have to dig a little deeper into my brain archives to remember who it was.

2 Likes

There is some discussion about it here:

i’ve had a supercap2 on my supernait and super2 and it’s a world of difference

2 Likes

it’s a bit of an overkill but it’s much better than a hicap, no doubt

i’ve moved my super over to the hiLine but i’d love to get another one for the s2

I assume you mean “to the SuperLine”

1 Like

I used a hicap dr on my supernait 2 and :sparkling_heart::notes:it n the a hicap dr on my stageline as well and that was another big step up in sq… :grin:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.