Supercap dr on nac202 / nac252

Jahap,

Just do the best you can with what you have and then sit back and enjoy it! You have an excellent system and it will reward you well if you can give it the best setup possible within the context of the space/furniture you have.

Do let us know how it goes after the weekend.

As promised, a picture from the changed setup,

It is easy to hear the difference as it was before. Much more involving, depth and focus. So I am happy!
If I have to say something about the 252/scdr; it gives more detail and peace in the music in comparison with 202/hc. However, I will switch the 252 for the 202 to see what happens, now I still got the 202 in the house.

And oh, please… Don’t look at the tv… :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

Jahap,

Nice looking setup! I’m glad you’ve been able to space things out a bit… it does make a difference at this level.

If you want to, there will likely be more you can do to squeeze out the best possible performance without needing to spend much at all, in fact anything if you have some odds and ends lying about (as many Hi-Fi tweakers do!). I found that when I had a wooden cabinet, getting the feet of my 282 and CDX2 (at the time) off the wooden cabinet and onto a piece of glass shelf, isolated from the cabinet, brought additional benefits and clarity. This or an isolation product like Isoacoustics placed under the casework to lift the feet off the cabinet should bring benefits, but that would mean additional outlay!

The important thing is that you’ve now got your Naim kit starting to sound how you expected and wanted it. Now you can start to kick back and enjoy it!

1 Like

Thank you, Jason,

I’m always interrested in tweaking the set (specialy those with low cost). Your suggestion for glass shelfs did cross my mind. Also the Isoacoustics isolators would be a real possibilty. Futher tweaks which I consider in time are speakercables, powercables and mains.
I do use one hi-line, between ndx2 and 252. Would it be a possibilty to change other interconnects?

After a few days listening, I feel the music is very detailed, good balanced, specialy the lower frequencies and easy to listen to, But also a little more laid back as I used to. Like the stage is 2 meters further away, but with same depth and clearity.
Therefore I feel somtetimes a little less more involved into the music. When reading the topics in this forum, I understand more users feel this way. I wonder if a 282 would therefore for me a better choice. Also given the more demanding setup for the 252. What would bring the most music?

My thoughts at this time… meanwhile listening to Bruce Springsteen, The Ghost of Tom Joad.

Naim’s suggested system with a NAC252 includes a XPS-DR on your source. It never ends does it?!

1 Like

OMG… where does it end…

Nudge up the two boxes on your top shelf, loose the small stuff, and I reckon there is space for an XPS-DR. (If only it were so simple).

It ends where you decide it ends :wink:

My unsolicited advice: be happy with what you have and try to avoid contracting upgraditis (especially when constantly reading a Naim forum).

3 Likes

Perhaps give it some time. You will need to adapt to the “new sound” as the 252 is clearly quite different from the 202. Perhaps the setup will require more optimisation as well since the 252 is a more demanding preamp which requires more meticulous setup to sound its best.

Having said that, similarly I have read about the 252 having a smoother and laidback sound when compared to the 282. FWIW the 282 is actually more dynamic and bolder sounding than the 202 with improved clarity and detail. However, if talking about subtle detail and refinement I believe the 252 is better based on folks who have compared both 252 and 282.

Having said that, similarly I have read about the 252 having a smoother and laidback sound when compared to the 282. FWIW the 282 is actually more dynamic and bolder sounding than the 202 with improved clarity and detail. However, if talking about subtle detail and refinement I believe the 252 is better based on folks who have compared both 252 and 282.
[/quote]

agree having over the 20 years of ownership of the classic range through from 202,282 and now 252
for me the 282 with HCDR has a slightly forward, but very engauging musical quality - change the HCDR for SC or SCDR on 282 the musical flows and I think this is combo shows the 282 as it’s best

252 give more detail focus and rexlased presenation, but IMO for the 252 to shine in balance with the rest of system from source through speakers - nothing new there to be honest

Dont worry, MeToo. I do like my system a lot!! I listen every day, especially in the evening with great pleasure. A good alternitive for al the bad news on tv these days…

In the last year I have made quit a lot of changes to my system. A year ago I listen to NDX5S/200/202/HC with B&W CDM 9NT. At this point, only the speakercables are the same…
I think I have already the upgraditis and looking for a long time cure (if there is) :upside_down_face:

1 Like

That’s a really interresting option!
But I don’t think my wife would agree… 4 boxes are the limit in this household.

…then don’t ever demo the XPS Dr with your NDX 2.

I believe you would find it irresistible and then you would be convincing your wife that the HiCap was really only a half of a box and 4 and 1/2 boxes would not be at all bad…

3 Likes

Jahap,

The Hi-line seems to be fairly well liked and is a good, quality option for connecting your digital source to the 252. I use one too and personally, I wouldn’t be spending any more to try and improve it at this point.

If you want to spend more then yes, you have plenty of options, and the XPS muted earlier is a sound suggestion. Personally, I would be looking at getting the fundamentals right if that’s not already been done. Mains quality is important, so a dedicated spur/radial or ring with its own consumer unit, installed correctly by a qualified electrician, can give some isolation from mains ‘noise’ created by other appliances in the house (this could be cheaper than you think - if you can accommodate it).

Also, for your NDX2, the digital network quality is important. If you have a few hours spare and are inclined to do so(!), have a look on the streaming forum at some of the threads which discuss the network and how various switches/leads can affect performance. Take some of it with a pinch of salt because it seems what works for one, doesn’t necessarily for another, but my point is you can try stuff cheaply or cost free and sometimes get quite amazing results. Having recently read some of this, I simply removed one of the two switches setup on my network (a cheap gigabit switch originally bought from Maplin) and simply plugged everything into the one remaining quality switch (Cisco 2960) - nothing more. The results were quite profound and considerably preferable to me - it was clear that the cheaper quality switch was somehow degrading the quality of the network (but that’s for another discussion!)

That’s not to say you will find exactly the same, but it’s worth a try and a cheap Cisco 2960 (circa £50 second-hand) has been found by many to bring decent gains over a normal cheap quality switch.

I would say that once mains, supports and network have been addressed as best you can, then you can rest assured you are getting the best out of your existing system and go on to find even clearer results when you change a cable or add/swap a box (if that’s what you want to do).

Oh and if you’re not already aware, keep your 252/supercap turned on all the time for best results; it’s designed to stay switched on and will take a few days to reach best performance from cold. I would only shut it down when you are due to be away or it won’t get used for a few days.

Anyway, that’s enough of my ramblings, go away and enjoy it!

Hi Jason,

Thank you (and also all others) for all your help, thoughts and tips! All of you have been very helpfull which a appreciate.
I’ve recieved good directions to look for. For some of it, I had already my thoughts but it as nice to hear other opinions and tips. I forgot about the network issue and will read me in on this subject some more.

I also keep my system on at almost any time, except when I not at home for a couple of days or when big thunderstorms.

The system as it is now, will stay for a while. I am very happy with it and can re-discover my music (again). I hope to do some improvements in time to hear what happens.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.