Supercap under LP12

Hi, I’m thinking of upgrading my 282 with a SuperCap. The only concern I have is that in my set up, space is very tight and the only place I could put it would be under my LP12 which is on a Mana table. This would mean the top of the SC would be about 6 inches below the Benz MC cartridge. The LP12 does not have a phono preamp built in. I appreciate it’s not ideal but would it cause too many problems with hum?
My HiCapDR is placed elsewhere because its half width. The full width HC would fall foul of the spikes holding up the bottom glass shelf on the Mana rack
Anybody with experience of this?
Thanks
Best wishes Amer

The ONLY way to find out is to try it unfortunately

1 Like

If your configuration will permit it, keep an eye out for a Mana preamp stand, which fits neatly between the legs of the Mana TT stand, and put your 282 on it. It’s big enough for my 52, so it’s big enough for your 282.

1 Like

I really feel for you, all I can think of is a lead shield. Lp12 is really hit and miss if not level, so it’s going to be a challenge, not to mention the hum from the SC.
You may upgrade your pre but down grade your source.

1 Like

When I first installed my Turntable I had to initially position it above the Supercap 2. After a couple of months I rearranged my racks and switched it to the other rack above a Snaxo/Superline. I had anticipated an improvement in sound but there was absolutely no difference. My cartridge is an Ortofon Cadenza Bronze.

I wondered if this was due to the fact that my shelves are granite, but no way of checking.

1 Like

Thanks for all your responses, very helpful. After talking to Signals HiFi who are selling the SC, and your comments, especially GerryMcG and Japtimscarlet, it seems I really do just need to suck it and see. Signals give a 15 day return offer. I tried to locate a Mana preamp stand jrhardee, but no luck, they are still making a few odds and ends, but not a preamp stand. I had thought of some shield arrangement along the lines you suggested Soundsfaber, but right now I’ll give it a go without.
From the threads of power supplies to the 282, it seems that I would prefer the sound of the SC as opposed to another HiCap, but it’s also possible that I might not think the amount of improvement in SQ is worth the extra money! So let’s see what happens when I instal the SCapDR in a week or so’s time.
Best wishes
Amer

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.