Superline-552: right channel hum

My dealer checked the tonearmcable, says everything is fine there.
My first thought was that the humming comes from the turntable, so I brought it to my dealer for a checkup, but everything fine there.

I only know the Nordost plugs from pictures, but they sure look like the Neutriks I had on a pair of Lā€™Espace cables back in the nineties. Among the best ones back then, nowadays I like the ETI plugs best.

Have you tried a plug with a different capacity? Perhaps a bad solder joint in the 1nF plug.

Yes Iā€˜ve tried all capacitance plugs that came with the Superline, they all make the right channel hum.

I revisited the cable dressing of the 552 and changed the SNAIC from one loop around the Burndy to only touching once when they cross.
Letā€˜s see if the humming will appear again.

Until now the humming in the right channel of the Superline did not return, even with capacitance plug fitted. Maybe the 552 Burndy and SNAIC cable dressing did the trick. Fascinating.

The humming in the right channel of the SuperLine is back, so cable dressing did not do the trick.
Has somebody an idea how I could find out whether the issue is with the SuperLine or the 552?

1 Like

Iā€™ve made some enquiries if thereā€™s anything else to check or cover.

1 Like

OK, the only thing left is that it may be a similar thing to w/hat can sometimes occur with the Supercap powered Superline ; i.e. the tolerance of every part of the chain is just enough all one way to create a hum issue. It can usually be solved just be swapping out one part of the chain. Otherwise, Naim can do a minor modification to the Superline.

So, you could, if your dealer was able, try swapping out any or all of the following; SNAIC5, NAC552PS, NAC552 Burndy, Superline. If no improvement then a mod is necessary. Or just go straight to the mod. Have a chat with your dealer. IIRC, your distributor has dealt with similar issues before, so should be familiar with it.

Many thanks for your kind support, Richard. I will talk with my dealer about this and bring the Superline along for rurther inspection.

Just a short update on this:
Replaced the SNAIC5 and 552 Burndy but humming is still there.
Without capacitive plug fitted, there is no humming.
4,7nF plug would be a good fit in the context of my system, but this makes the SuperLine hum, 1nF even a bit louder.
So for the moment I listen without cap plug fitted.

Next step should then be to contact the German distributor about the mentioned mod, I think.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.