Superline alternative

Interesting, I have an original Linto serviced a few years ago by Class A.

I’ve often wondered if it’s holding the LP12 back. Nearly bought an ex-demo Tom Evans phono stage impulsively last year, but decided against it.

How does that work? Potentially another reason to consider a NAC 252 upgrade.

I do the same. It’s powered from the Aux 2 socket, which is also it’s signal input into the pre-amp. Think you can do it on 282 (poss other pre amps too?).

1 Like

My word, I wasn’t aware that was possible - presumably this with the plug in place:

Yes, I admit I failed to RTFM :rofl::

It probably wasn’t on my ‘radar’ at the time :woman_facepalming:

3 Likes

It’s definitely worth a go as you only need a 5pin SNAIC. I read quite a lot of threads on the subject before I committed and the general consensus is that hooking it up in this way is roughly equivalent to using a separate HiCap, albeit with a slightly different ‘take’ on the sound. A SuperCap is required to dramatically improve it.
Like I say that’s only what I have read and I think that was primarily with a 252/SC.

1 Like

Yes, just remove the cap, plug in (then turn your preamp back on) and away you go!

1 Like

Thanks, a very interesting option I was unaware of.

I have the NAC 282, several olive HICAPs and more recently a SupercapDR which may stay on the 282 or a new active crossover . The fact that 282/252 can power a SuperLine is a revelation to me. :+1:

1 Like

Both the 282 and 252 and other preamps can power the superline.

The 252 aux2 connection is powered via a dedicated winding from the supercap.

Be aware though, that although the 282 can be powered by a supercap, it does not utilise the dedicated winding from it for aux2.

You might choose to power the 282 from one or both hicaps and use the supercap exclusively to power the superline.

I wish I had the opportunity to try out all the combinations you will be able to!

3 Likes

If I had a turntable worthy of a high end phono stage, I’d probably give the Luxman EQ-500 a try. Sadly, the only review I found was from WHF, but nonetheless, I’d be borrowing one for sure.

There is a review of the Luxman by the late, great Art Dudley from 2016, available on the Stereophile website.

1 Like

I’m currently using both a Vertere Phono 1 and a Superline. Both are unitsare used, the Superline from 2013. I’m currently going down the Vertere route from a turntable perspective, so was interested in trying both options. As I’m really not very good at doing short a/b comparisons and coupled with the added complication of loading options, I decided to look for a couple of preloved units so that I could take my time over the exercise.

I found the Phono 1 in March and the Superline in early April. I had the Phono 1 installed for nearly a month before trying the Superline. I then used the Superline for c. 6 weeks. I’ve just started another period with the Phono 1 within the last week.

The Superline is being used powered from my 52, so it is not being used in it’s most optimised configuration with a dedicated Supercap. Unfortunately this is currently not an option for me as I have a hard constraint on rack space.

I am using a Vertere Redline interconnect with the Phono 1 and a Snaic with the Superline. Both cables were brand new. I have a Hana ML cartridge.

My views so far. There isn’t a bad option here and both offer a considerable upgrade over the standard 52 boards. I’d be very happy to live with either. If you asked my now to off load one of the units, I couldn’t with any confidence be sure that I be letting the right one go. I’m finding that the investigation of the loading options very important, this is true for both units, but especially true with the Phono 1 as it has so many. This is something that I would usually have found to be a frustrating exercise, but it’s made much easier by my taking time and fitting it around my normal listening habits. I do now appreciate though the attraction of a known cartridge/phono combination e.g. Rega/Rega or Vertere/Vertere.

So onwards with the Phono 1 for the time being, it is sounding superb at the moment and maybe a nose in front.

I can well imagine hanging onto both units for a considerable period of time. I might also consider having the Superline serviced, depending on how things go. I’d welcome views on that.

3 Likes

A certain London dealer is sounding very excited by the RCM Audio ‘The Big Phono’. Albeit it is accompanied by ‘The Big Price Tag’!

Peter

That’s quite interesting to me as the Vertere Phono is a lot less expensive than a Superline (let alone with a Supercap). Superline is on my dream list but the practicalities of the Vertere Phono really appeal, given it can cope with pretty much any MC cartridge and even MM, whereas the Superline is not as flexible. e.g. a cartridge over 500mV output would need a Superline E model not the standard.

Which Vertere record player are you considering?

I was expecting the Superline to be my favourite after all I’ve read about it over the years and particularly in view that others had expressed a preference for the Superline (and other phono stages for that matter) over the Phono 1. Prior to re-installing it, after using the Superline for 6 weeks, I was pretty convinced that given how well the Superline was doing that it wouldn’t measure up and would soon be advertised.

The MG-1 in all likelihood, or in the very unlikely event that the financial stars align, then the SG-1.

1 Like

Unfortunately (if your reply is to my posts) I think it’s unlikely I’ll be in a position to look at a Superline or 252 anytime soon, other priorities at present. I guess I’ve been happy with the Linn Linto but would love to see how some other phono stages compare.

I had a Linto. The Superline I have now sounds vastly better to me, but there are a lot of good options out there, many costing less than a new Superline.

4 Likes

Its all to do with matching more than anything else.
The more options you have to get the correct match with the cartridge and arm cable etc, the better the results will be.
I have gone round and round with phono stages and what suited one, didn’t always suit another.
So if you have found your end game cartridge and you can see yourself using that for many years then find a phono stage thats works well with it, as in you can match it to what the cartridge wants, try it and if you like go with it.
I have gone back to the superline due to being able to make my own loading plugs to best match what i want and like, not many phono stages offer this.

4 Likes

Oh wow! :open_mouth:

1 Like

With the Audio Research Ref phono, you can select gain, impedance, ……and even the RIAA curve with the remote.

2 Likes

Fancy!

1 Like