Superline loading for Denon DL-103 Cartridge?

Back in the 1970s there were DL103S (Shibata) and DL103D (elliptical) variants. Relative compliances (dynamic) were:
DL103 5x10-6 Cm/dyne (100 Hz)
DL103S 8x10-6 Cm/dyne (100 Hz)
DL103D 12x10-6 Cm/dyne (100 Hz)
Haven’t seen any indications of new models which is a great pity - my favorite cartridge of all time was my DL103D!

1 Like

I had to check, but those compliance figures are quite low. I see that my Dynavector DV10X is also 12cu.

The Decca London is another cartridge of similar age and low compliance, to the Denon.

I thought that it was mandatory for membership of this Forum to have a preference for the lovely, very crimson Linn Troika!!
That’s why the ARO has that third mounting screwhole on the headshell which those of us slumming it with Dynavector and other flavours of cartridge can’t use.

1 Like

Yes they are! This revelation convinced me that tracking ability had little to do with compliance as the DL103D tracked records that my “higher compliance” cartridges could not!

1 Like

High compliance and low tracking weight were considered to be the Holy Grail, back in the 70’s. High compliance then required Low Arm Mass.

Linn showed this was not necessarily the best way to go, by recommending Supex MC cartridges and the Grace 707 arm - and later the Linn Asak and the Ittok arm.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.