Superline/Supercap hum

When you said “new cable is installed” a week ago was this the Burndy or the power cable?
The problem only arrived with the Burndy if I remember correctly.

@ Richard.Dane, any help is very welcome and I appreciate that very much. I also understand what you mean. I know it’s often difficult to help when the situation is only described and not experienced on-site.

The German distrubutor has a helpline to which I have turned several times. The result was a burndy cable as an exchange. The dealer says with every call, the problem is solved, but nothing happens. Now I have to admit, it’s not the typical Naim dealer,but a big Linn dealer who also sells Naim. Maybe he does not have the best connection to the distributor. Unfortunately I have to fix an appointment, where the problem is solved. If it has not been solved by then, I’ll probably have to reverse the entire purchase and seek alternatives.

OTOH I’m very familiar with Naim, as I use it more the 40 years in very different setups.

However, I think those who are trying to help continue to inform what happened. However, if this is not desired in the way I do no problem. Please let me know.

I have kept the SL as far away from power supplies as possible, but nothing has changed . If it were just the humming, I could understand that this is an interference caused by the grid frequency. But it’s more than that. And only with the Burndy and not with the 5 pin SNAIC. With SNAIC its dead quiet. If it were interference, it would have to happen for my understanding with the SNAIC too but it does not.

As I wrote, it sounds like capacitors discharging. Unfortunately, I can not upload an audio file that shows it very well. The recording was made when the SL was as far away as the Burndy allowed. 552PS and 555PS are even further away, as can not sprinkle.

@Yeti, It may have been a bit vague, sorry for that. I have exchanged everything that is movable, power cord, other circuit used, even other sockets, burndy, plugs for the Kandid.

The next logical step would be to swap the supercap.

I have used youtube in the past to desmonstrate a technical problem. Just take a video with sound from your smartphone and upload it the youtube, bookmark the address and paste here, or anywhere you want.

1 Like

Thank you very much ckarnik.

Do not look at the LP12, it was a test.
YT does not want a converted audio file. I had to do it with Premiere Pro.

Turn up the volume slightly and you will hear these irregular blobs. It has been recorded today. Volume was at 9 o’clock and the Zoom Recorder about 1m away from the speaker

@Hermann, thanks for posting the recording. That really helps. I’ve been conferring with Naim’s R&D. Can you let me know how old is the Superline?

Well, thank you very much Richard.
I bought the SL in April 2018, the Supercap about 6 weeks ago. But since the burndy was not available, I could use the current setup just over 4 weeks ago.

Thanks Hermann, can you let me know the serial number of the Superline?

Thanks Richard. Well, first I have to correct the date of purchase the Superline, it was 10.2018 and sn is 445542.

Thanks Hermann, I’ll let you know what comes back…

Hermann, bingo! It has been seen/heard before at the factory. Supposedly easily fixed just by some careful fine tuning to prevent the Supercap oscillating. Naim will liaise with Music Line about what to do to fix it.

2 Likes

Thank you very much Richard. The dealer will be here next Wednesday. I hope he has something in his luggage. It does not look quite as bad as originally thought. And I hope it can be set locally.

I’m really surprised about this solution, because it turns out that after each power off and on, it sounds really scary. After a while the noise subsides a bit.

Thanks again for your very kind help.

From what i gather from R&D it probably needs to go on the bench at Music Line. However, ML should get the details from HQ in due course.

1 Like

Thanks Richard, I’m waiting for information from ML then.

@ Richard.Dane, I would like to thank you again for your very kind help. Everyone in the chain has responded very quickly. The SuperLine is back, that noice no longer exist.

Back to music now

4 Likes

Hermann, that’s great news. Enjoy!

2 Likes

Great news Hermann! Now that there is no noise can you briefly report how Superline powered by SuperCap DR compares with HiCap?

Well, good question. I think I wrote something in the old Naim forum on “sound enhancements” when I switched from 52 to 552 and that’s about 16 years ago. Anyway …

I have to admit, unfortunately this has gone a bit under the circumstances. But my first impression was, the SL plays slightly better than before. Can be imagination, I do not know. Because shortly after the SL was connected, a sinusitis has crept in with me. So no statement possible currently.

Will see next week when everything is back to normal and the SL warmed up. Please have some patience.

Well i have used my superline 3 different ways and i found i liked the superline run off my 52 over hicap. But now it has its own supercap the up lift over the other 2 ways is far superior.
More open sounding, faster and all round nicer to listen too and the only way to fully appreciate the superline

As promised… :slight_smile:

So, how can I describe the difference between Hicap/DR and Supercap/DR on the Superline. Too many things also matter because my room sounds very bright and I have a lot of damping to do.

But still, when the SC/SL problem was resolved and my health is almost restored, I can focus more on the music.

For every record I had the impression that it is new and you only know a part of what is stored in there. Some of my records I’ve heard 3 or 4 times in a row because I just could’nt believe it. And this with records that I have been playing since the beginning of the 70s. Just to name one, Pentangle - The Pentangle. I guess I played it thousands of times and I understand the music right now.

For some time I like to hear Anne Dudlay Plays Art of Noice. This is a piano recording that I recommend to anyone who tends a bit in that direction. I enjoyed this music during the Hicap time very much and therefore it was played almost every day. Then, when the Supercap/Superline was fine, I actually thought it was somehow a different shot, although the press quality is really bad. Meanwhile I own 3 records out of 12 orders! Unfortunately, they are all pretty bad. But the musical interpretation is sheer madness.

Actually, it does not matter which record is played or better said which music genre. Simply every music shows with the SC/SL what’s inside. As the musicians play out, themes are passed on and at any time it is possible to completely relax to follow an “instrument line” or at the same time to all.

Meanwhile, the Linn Kandid/SL and Supercap are a well-rehearsed team. And that, although the LP12 does not play on the point! When it was set up at the time, there was probably not enough time for the dealer to do it correctly. Will however be made up at short notice.

What I’m not interested in are more or better trebles, more or better bass, or things that describe the sound itself. I want to know, for what reason the musicians have just composed exactly these pieces, so as to understand the meaning behind it. This has been able to show me no or only partially 1 or 2 other music systems.

I had never heard the Superline before. So it was a little poking in the dark, let me say. However, since the prefix, Hicap/DR, Kandid, Ekos/SE played some time before, I had a very accurate impression of what the Superline could do. And this impression has not only been confirmed, but has been exceeded.

For example Jazz and I mean little occupations. For me, it does not matter if the musicians “stand in the room”. For me the interaction counts and the SL/SC team shows this in a perfection that is breathtaking.

The same applies to classical music. Taking out and describing a single LP is pointless, as all recordings sound great, especially if all the parameters are right. However, one is mentioned. Mussorgsky’s “Pictures of an Exhibition” the orchestral version. Not only me are the tears in the eyes regularly, even my partner or a friend who can not do so much with classical music. Yes, something like that happens when music hits the right nerve.

Anyway, this Combi has moved this friend of mine to rethink his setup and make significant changes. Because the clarity of the heights is simply amazing. Ok, now I’m at the sound. :slight_smile:

Is there an end in sight? I do not think so, because every music has its peculiarities and it has to be understood and internalized.

Enjoy

Hermann

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.