Superline Vs competition

@Lyndon…just saw in your profile it’s a Chord Music interconnect between the Mastergroove SR and your 552. Wondering wether RCA-RCA or RCA-DIN would be the way to go…
Regards,
Jodl

Look at Vertere. They sell their 7k turntable, 3k cart , with an 1k phono.
I don’t understand why the phono is such minimally considered.
A bit the same for the Solstice package.

Something has to give I guess. Probably they wanted to sell Solstice for 16K rather than 25K … you can always add more, but will you make more money? And most likely these 500 won’t be the last ones if they sell well

Jodi

It’s a Music RCA-DIN

lyndon

Thank you @Lyndon!
Jodl

Packaging (e.g. box count ), aesthetics (Superline has green light and is obviously much bigger) and price point, in competing against the likes of SME’s and others.

So time for a new SuperlineSE then?

Now that could be something indeed!

1 Like

An very good quality integrated phono-stage would be great i.e. they reckon the one with the Solstice is very good, although we have few reports from the field to say how good in comparison. The days of the massive toroid transformers must be close?

Saying a Solstice SE package sits well with Statement kit is a tad OTT for me. Anyone running a full Statement set-up who loves vinyl would likely have something highly esoteric (read ‘expensive’).

Phonosophie P3 Aro SPU Superline Supercap…
What else! :wink:

2 Likes

“Highly esoteric ( read expensive)” like the new OMA K3 turntable, 360 k, reviewed in the last Stereophile.
Maybe not

Drifted somewhat this thread :rofl:
Thanks to those that have shared, but surprised there’s so few people that have done any comparisons?
Appreciate your view @frenchrooster and you may well be right! (I know there’s only really one way to find out for myself)
Nice to have some thoughts of SL vs Mastergroove but having not heard one in my system (only in Tom’s system at the factory) it’s impossible to compare.
I guess I know a SL powered from anything less than a HC is probably not going to compete with my current stage, so that only leaves the HC and SC options (think that’s right), so let me pose a slightly different question, does the SC make a significant improvement over the HC?
So I’d still be interested in what others have put their SL/SC or SL/HC combos up against

2 Likes

SL + SC-DR is absolutely the way to go if funds permit. That’s a brilliant combination. It was very, very much better than when powered off our NAC52 (AUX 2 output, I think) with olive supercap. It was also considerably better than when powered directly by our serviced olive supercap via Burndy.

I started a thread on the subject of phono stage comparisons on the old forum but can’t remember the title of it now. We auditioned about 6 different ones.

Best regards, BF

That’s a pretty big if, the price of that combination is really up there in esoteric territory. I have no doubt it is worth the money, but that is a lot of it!

Agreed.

In the end, we went for a Sim Audio Moon 310LP/320S, which was considerably more affordable and was the only alternative that came close to a SL/SCDR in our system.

Best regards, BF

1 Like

Thanks BBWan,
I just want to clarify that my above posts were quoted posts of others, AHT , Varyat, and Lyndon. I have not made myself a comparison.
Personally I have an EAR 912 pre/ phono and not sure i will upgrade on it one day.
Don’t forget, if you can, to consider the Whest phono stages. They apparently are very Naim sounding and 2 or 3 members here have upgraded with Whest from Superline/ Supercap.

I liked the superline off the pre (282 and 552), you might sacrifices some detail compared to a hicap but there’s more “groove”. I even preferred it to a supercap using a snaic. Supercap via a Burndy however is a different matter.

Two decks, a 202 feeding a 250? if that’s up to date there’s room for a second phonostage by the look of it, there’s also an obvious pre amp upgrade, or do you prefer a 202 to a 282? Some do, I seem to remember @Simon-in-Suffolk held on to his 202 after comparing a 282, until a 252 replaced it that is.

Yeah it is up-to-date and yes two decks @Yeti but having gone through quite a few multi-input phono stages as a replacement for the TEAD G+SRX2 I gave up, as I couldn’t find anything as good and didn’t want to not have that quality on both TTs.
Would rather avoid two stages if I can and I’m happy to swap the cables over as and when required.
The 202 will inevitably make way for a 282 or 252 at some point…just a question of time. Obviously people normally do pre first, I didn’t because I was offered a great deal on the 250 so went for it knowing I’d end up there eventually anyway :rofl: :rofl:

Regarding the SL, think I’m getting the impression that I’m gonna need a SC (probably DR too) and even then it’s probably not better, just different so given the faff, £ and real-estate of the SL/SC I’ll probably put it out of my mind…

for now!

1 Like

I went from prefix to SL. Need to adapt som3 t8 e, but at the end it is wonderful.
But unfortunately I do not know any non Naim stuff. Here in Germany rike stages are highly recommended!

I changed from a very fine Herron Audio phonostage – that bettered just about anything else I heard – to a SuperLine and couldn’t be happier. I’ve been powering it from my 252, but as luck – and a lighter wallet – would have it I should have a SuperCapDR and cables on the way to me very soon.

2 Likes

Not quite. I did replace my 202/HiCapDR with a 282/HiCapDR. I did find the 282 notably more enjoyable.

1 Like