Superlumina cables

I look forward to being able to appreciate this.

Thankā€™s MattCray. From a 32/250 in the esrly 1980s I have never sent back a Naim product.
Some have worked better than others. Its the way things are.

1 Like

Does anyone consider SL cables at a SN3 level? I have a pair of HiLines currently. Iā€™m curious as to when adding these cables makes sense.

I believe @anon4489532 has a SN3 but decided to sell his SL loom he previously owned. Itā€™s probably OTT at this level?

1 Like

I saw a pair go for Ā£800 on eBay a couple of years ago!

1 Like

That poor seller! After eBay & PayPal fees have come out of that, heā€™d have got more selling them to a dealer.

Lucky buyer though - just wish it had been me!

IIRC I think that was a buy it now price - maybe the owner had died and thatā€™s what heā€™d told his partner heā€™d paid for them!

3 Likes

I did CD555 to 552 first, speakers cables next, then the 500DR XLR/DIN cables. Each step was more than worthwhile. I wasnā€™t expecting much from the last set but was really surprised at the difference.

Just take your time doing each one so you can appreciate the differences.

2 Likes

Poor widow (relatively) now then!

Thatā€™s good to know.

1 Like

Is your dealer able to send you out a demo pair for you to try at home? Itā€™s a simple job to swap them round.

Yes, I wanted to get rid of all the fancy cables and go back to basics with a simpler system. Our friend @RackKit has my SL Din to XLR leads in his 500 system. If I was @marcusman Iā€™d be putting the SL money into an NDX2/555PS source. Iā€™m using TQ Black interconnects - their previous owner preferrred them to a Hiline and they arenā€™t expensive, secondhand anyway. I see a lot of more modest systems with SL cables, and very often a box upgrade would contribute a lot more. One the other hand, if there is no desire to change boxes it can make sense to max it out with cables. That what I did with my 272/555/300.

4 Likes

It must be a hard decision knowing if or when to fit fancy cables. Iā€™d always go for the next box upgrade first if the transaction price was similar but thereā€™s point where you hit a limit (eg 252/300 to 500 series?) where the cost is too great so you max out those boxes instead.

Iā€™ve been offered the demo pairā€¦ crafty :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I expect he could drop them off for me to demo. Ten years ago I would have said yes. At 77 I leave all installs to my deale even straight forward ones like this. I need two new knees!
Could I lift up my 500 amp? Hmmm.

1 Like

Itā€™s not worth the risk !

If you need two new knees I wouldnā€™t advise it! Yeah, let your dealer sort it for you. Sorry, I didnā€™t know your age!

I presume youā€™re a spring (kneed) chicken then.

I wouldnā€™t go quite that far! :smiley:

Remember there are cheaper alternatives that also give great results, just need to try

2 Likes