Superlumina speaker cables: No - Boogie?

I’m pleased you’ve found cables that ‘do it’ for you. Even though the equivalent Superlumina would cost just a little more (+£200), you and I both know that SL is not always the ‘one size fits all’ solution with all Naim systems that many seem to assume is the case. I do wonder sometimes just what percentage of Naim owners have ever actually demoed other makes of cable.

3 Likes

You won’t regret it. I also own the Signature XL, compared it to the SL and found it clearly “better” (282,SC DR,250 DR, S-600).

2 Likes

HiLine is incredible Mike, huge improvement over the standard IC! Yes the are delicate.

2 Likes

As the cable between the 282 and HCDR carries power it is against forum rules to discuss it…

But a Snaic and HiLine are not interchangeable?

G

No, a SNAIC carries DC power and signal. A Hi-line just carries signal.

Discussion of any fake SNAICs or Burndies (which both carry DC power), which are deemed unauthorised modifications to Naim equipment, is thus prohibited here.

Well, I went to order a Hiline interconnect and my dealer had a pre-loved Superlumina. It’s now in between the NDX2 and SN2 and blow me down with a feather, it was as big a lift as adding the XPS DR!

4 Likes

Interesting Mike…i have one on demo replacing Hiline between nd555 and 552, this is my third attempt to like this cable. Yes, it is better, but not worth 3 times the price of a Hiline. If my dealer was offering it at Hiline prices, a definite, but thats most unlikely.

3 Likes

The brutal reality of diminishing returns! I did the whole loom and new it cost me about £4.5k (about half price) I figured that the difference was akin to a £4.5k black box upgrade but that was at half price. I would not be without them now and they do take a long time to settle into the system. Mine are about a year old now and probably just about burned in!!!

1 Like

I think that SL is a path to getting the best out of a Naim system. It you think the immediate effect is not worth the price then give it time, and then be prepared to tweak your setup. Your ears can then guide you to a better and better setup. The G3 mains block, which you have, has been the final piece of the jigsaw for me. Mains and the noise it can bring to a system is the biggest reason Naim systems do not sound their best. Remember it is the power supplies that are interacting with each other that contribute significant amounts of noise that can be mitigated by use of wall socks and the mains block.

Phil

1 Like

I will take out the SL and replace with the Hiline and see how much i miss it. I am tempted to try the true signal audio cables again in this new system.

One day @Gazza, you will see the light.

Praise the Lawd!

2 Likes

You know this is the right option @Mike_S! :wink:

1 Like

Oops, responded too early Mike - I see you now have the SL!

1 Like

And this just re-affirms for me that I will stick with my 2 box system.

I don’t know, SL cables much better than Hi-line to my ears !

I don’t think what I said justifies that choice. You should stick with 2 boxes because you are satisfied etc. Those of us who tweak can get quite beautiful sounds with perseverance.

In my opinion this area of mains is not properly understood. I would think Naim were well placed to investigate it and provide a better solution which is more than just better regulation of voltage (DR).

Phil

I agree. It makes sense to compare other brands and not always assume that ‘full loom’ is the way to go. I have SL interconnect and DIN-XLRs on my system, but much prefer my Tellurium Ultra Black II speaker cables and jumpers compared to SL speaker cables. I found the SL cables dull & flat by comparison.

FYI, TQ Ultra Black II speaker cables get a cracking review in this month’s Hi-Fi world (rated as outstanding for the price)

3 Likes

Hi @Filipe, don’t worry I only meant the less boxes, the less chance of interference. Obviously each to their own but for me simple is best.

3 Likes

Yes, unplanned and not budgeted. It was a very rare pre-loved opportunity.