Supermarket annoyances and self-checkouts

Times may change but that doesn’t mean I have to like using a device that makes people redundant and that irritates me. In this case times will only change if we all act like sheep and queue up to increase their profits.

3 Likes

I’ve noticed that some people in the supermarket are actually paid to scan items, and I can’t seem to get paid for scanning mine, or even get a discount. So I go to the people who get paid and let them do it. Wouldn’t want to do them out of a job would I?

3 Likes

I was told by a checkout operator at Sainsbury’s that if they are off Ill 3 times without a doctors note they are fired.What ever happened to self certification

Indeed. But I used to be the guy who refused to pay for Sky Sports as I didn’t want to contribute to Rooney’s obscene wage, then realised that he’s still earning shed loads a month and I still can’t watch the cricket.

I like using them, they don’t irritate me and the whole jobs thing changes all the while. I was made redundant two years ago; I’ve been there. Crap happens.

1 Like

Lidl or maybe Aldi fire checkout staff if their till doesn’t tally at the end of a shift after the third occasion. It’s the sort of job that can easily be filled and is easy to recruit into.

It’s increasingly difficult to be anonymous, so when I shop I always make an effort to be nice and chat.
The last thing I want is to buy my wine and bread and feel that the staff are muttering to themeselves that that grumpy old bastard is back.

I always feel insulted when the assistant touches the button ‘clearly over 25’.

3 Likes

My wife got stopped by the security guy on her way out of the shop because there was a security tag on something she had bought and she hadn’t noticed (it was a steak or similar and had a RF tag under the price label.) Anyway with great good humour he quickly sorted the problem, but noticed a bag of chocolate covered crunchy things she had bought for the grandchildren and said “Oh I’m afraid I’m going to have to confiscate those though madam!”

Best

David

1 Like

I’ll sometimes tease them and ask if they want to see ID, despite being 54!

It’s fun to see them thinking on their feet to come back with an appropriate, but polite response!

Good suggestion, I’ll try that next time!

I always try to use a check out with a human operator, in a proably vain hope that it will protect their jobs.

4 Likes

That is definitely a driver for me to use manned checkouts too.

1 Like

Things That Retail Staff Hate Most #94: Middle aged people asking if they need to show ID. Middle aged people thinking they’re the first to think of this joke. Middle aged people who don’t grasp the shop’s policy of asking all customers for ID, to avoid disputes. Middle aged people who believe that the shop worker is thinking of a polite response, when the reality is he or she is really wondering how offensive the reply could be without being sacked or indeed if it’s worth just being sacked anyway. And middle aged people who think that anyone under 25 has no life experience that matters when it comes to dealing with a smug bloke barely into his 50s.

Sorry Trickie. You got me on a bad day.

3 Likes

At least you didn’t list 1-93 :slight_smile:

I was annoyed with myself for dropping a swear word into my comment to the staff member, but unfortunately I was a bear with a sore head, toothache and an aching back, so a little more irritable than normal.

You just need to get some more years in.

After about 60 no-one ever asks you for ID. Mostly I wouldn’t even have ID with me.
But smiling and being patient always works a treat in any situation!

Best
David

David, very true they generally ask if you are OK packing.

When we went to collect our free range Christmas turkey from the reassuringly expensive butchers a few miles away, the young female butcher asked us whether she should get one of the “nice men” to carry it to our car. I laughed and said I was nice and a man and would carry it myself (it was only about 7 Kg or so). Lots of laughter in the shop. I’m thinking golly do I look that old?! That’s worse than being offered a seat in the London underground by a younger man!
Best

David

I am quite looking forward to being challenged over a purchase when they gave me the option not to have a receipt :grin:

1 Like

I hate self service for a number of reasons, here there’s usually someone standing over you making sure you scan everything. I normally ask them if they’d like to do it as they seem so concerned. Mainly it’s the loss of jobs that is my main worry, kids usually get a start and learn some work ethics. They also don’t in my opinion pass on any saving they just increase their profits.

The big 2 supermarket chains in Aus have now announced that within 10 years they’ll be completely check out free. It’ll be scanned automatically as you take things and leave. That’s scary.

3 Likes