Supermarket snobbery

I love Hitchin. I’m from Luton so it wasn’t far from us. The only other one was in Ampthill. We had considered moving to Hitchin before we moved up north.

I told my girlfriend about this thread over supper last night. She said, ‘you’ve had the shirts, the brogues, suits, the watches… where’s the sex thread?!’

:-)))

3 Likes

Saw a woman shooing away a seagull from the roof of her car in Waitrose carpark today. I thought if only it was in Bangalore I’d get triple thread points.

3 Likes

There should be a badge for that.

1 Like

I missed the ones on brogues and suits!

1 Like

It’s very rare that we visit one of the large (as in physical size) supermarkets these days, we both lead busy lives and find that ordering online works best for us. As I work away from home for half the year my partner tends to do most of the shopping and getting a weekly delivery from Tesco suits her circumstances. When I lived in my previous house Tesco was the nearest supermarket so I tended to use them, but can’t say I particularly liked them - the Clubcard loyalty scheme is just a gimmick really 1 point for every pound spent, the multi buy “offers” might save you 3p on a £2.50 spend and it seemed like every time I visited they had moved things around so searching for what I wanted took twice as long. All great marketing wizardry I’m sure but just to me the whole experience was not great. Having said all that I’m not sure if other supermarkets are better or worse on those fronts. The home delivery works well in fairness, always on time, the drivers are always pleasant and helpful and will even bring the shopping into the kitchen. If anything is found to be unsatisfactory after they have left then a phone call will sort out a refund no questions asked.

If I do have to go out for any of the basics I always use the local Co-Op rather than the Sainsbury’s Local just over the road from it. Also became a member here getting money back on purchases which adds up quite nicely, plus they support the local community. The offers there seem to be more genuine than elsewhere with some good savings.

1 Like

Incessant and unnecessary movement of everything was one of the straws that broke our camel’s back 15 years ago when we shook the dust of Sainsbury’s from our feet and threw ourselves on the loving mercy of Waitrose. We’ve never really looked back, though our small local Coop is fine for the odd thing mid-week. With both of us still working and two teenaged daughters, we haven’t got time to truffle around multiple supermarkets on the lookout for bargain welder’s masks or Venezuelan Beaver Cheese. Something to while away the time in retirement, perhaps.

Mark

1 Like

It might have been the old forum.

I let my gf know that her comment had gained 3 likes. She said, ‘Only three! I worry about you hi-fi boys!’

1 Like

Ha my days for obsessing with brogues and suits are long past.

You can’t buy high end cables at any of the supermarkets.

1 Like

I wouldn’t bet on it, one day in the middle aisle of Lidl you’lll see a Nordost clone. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I don’t know Jimmy Hughes used adovcate using a run of 13amp solid mains cable from I guess in those days Payless DIY or Texas Homecare for speaker cable suggesting it was better than high end cables.

But Jimmy did have some strange ideas.

2 Likes

Texas Homecare! Now that’s a blast from the past!

Personally found that Waitrose products are not as good as they used to be. We are spoiled locally as have so many supermarkets to choose from but if I have to tend to go to Waitrose, COOP, and then Lidl or Aldi for cured meats as they beat everyone else hands down for this side of things. Waitrose is always a better shopping experience but they are just overpriced for a lot of things and unjustifiable on some products.

However we tend to shop online via Ocado as we just dont have the time with working in London my days are just long and then having my spare time in a supermarket is not our idea of fun at a weeknend. Ocado is switching to M&S as their main provider next year so will be interesting to see what happens here.

Love COOP in Suffolk, lots of local produce. We use them all the time when holidaying there.

1 Like

Don’t you love it a bunch of Hi-Fi nerds stressing over their groceries😳

Chap I know drives a Porsche complains that his local Tesco is too expensive.

I just love irony!

3 Likes

I’m inclined to agree. Waitrose own-brand items are good, but I’ve had better and half the price. We also use Ocado, and have done for nearly ten years now, but we’re finding them to be very expensive. Now that I’m retiring, I can buy groceries from Aldi/Lidl that are much better, and about one third to one half less in outlay.

3 Likes

A large Waitrose is 4 minutes walk down the hill, everything else I’d have to visit on the bike, which is feasible as i go past a huge Tesco and a Lidl on the way home from work. I could stop and fill the panniers but I never seem to get round to it unless I’m after something specific. Lidl smoked salmon used to be half the price of Waitrose and was quite acceptable, unlike their Bratwurst which was really strange. The uniformed guards in Lidl were a bit of a shock when they first opened but everone seems to have them now, sign of the times. Agree Tesco = no flavour.

The price of smoke salmon has escalated. On top of that the taste of farmed salmon is not great. Therefore, I buy the wild smoked salmon (several species available but I prefer sockeye from either Canada or Alaska). It’s a real treat for that special occasion or a spoilt moment.

Most supermarket pork products are now sourced from using the cheaper non castrated male pig. Even expensive ham roasted on the bone has that strange aftertaste of boar taint.
I can only buy porky stuff from my local butcher - who use only the sweet females !!