Supernait 2 upgrade . Hicap dr or powerline

I assume hicap but thought I’d ask the collective first!

I’d go for the HiCap DR. Makes a big difference to the SN2 in terms of bass control and soundstage.

3 Likes

Yup. I’d defo go for the HiCap DR. A dedicated power supply for the pre-amp section, decoupling the onboard supply for the power amp section. It’s almost like killing two birds with one stone. Without being so cruel of course. :grin:

2 Likes

Definitely the HiCap. Massive upgrade in my opinion.

3 Likes

I would go with the HiCap DR.

Hopefully you have a dealer who can provide a demo unit so you can at home for a week. There have been a few SuperNait owners along over time who stated they preferred their SuperNait without a HiCap.

Search on here and the archive forum and you may find more information on HiCap recommendations.

3 Likes

Cheers chaps. :+1:

1 Like

Not a lot to add here, certainly agree with others previous comments, the HiCap DR is a worthy companion to a SN2, if nothing else it’ll stop you spending a lot more on new speakers!
Powerlines are worth letting your dealer know are an item you have an eye on, they can cycle demo ones your way for decent prices, even preowned ones are usually in good condition and are a nice refinement but certainly something to come after a HiCap, glad to hear you’re enjoying the move to the SN2 anyway, I enjoyed mine a lot, one of my favourite NAIT’s.

4 Likes

The other upgrade you might consider instead, is a Hi-line 5 pin to 5 pin Din to connect your ND5XS2 to your SN2. I also have and SN2, and I found the Hi-line improved the SQ from my NDS, a lot.
I bought mine pre-owned.
And the SN2 is great!
Just a thought.

2 Likes

Agree. I remember feeling the addition of the HiLine between the SN2 & ND5 XS2 was just as big, if not more so, than the HiCap.

If you shop around, there are normally a few pre-loved ones kicking around for 50% of full retail and providing they haven’t been abused (intentional damage) Naim will honour the free repair on 2nd hand cables as well.

2 Likes

I am a tight arse — buy used or ex-demo whenever possible. A good priced Powerline came up in the fishy place, so I bought it. And before that, a posh Ethernet cable.

I appreciate these wires might not provide the uplift a Hicap brings to the table — but it doesn’t matter to me. I can wait for a good priced Hicap. I like to maximise my purchasing power — so sequencing isn’t really that important in my books. As long as I know the direction of travel, and the journey is part of the fun… :smile:

1 Like

I’m using a TQ black 5 pin din which is a step up from lavender and a bit more forgiving re dressing

2 Likes

HiCap DR works very nicely with SN2

1 Like

Oh … well, HiCapdr then. I don’t have one on my SN2 yet, but I will!
Best of luck with whatever you decide.

I have both and would recommend the HiCap first, The Powerlines are certainty worthwhile though - more punch and solidity with a lower noise floor, though I think at their best when used across the whole system.

3 Likes

Nothing to add by me here, either. HiCap DR without a doubt. I am a firm believer in outboard power supplies when it comes to Naim. I cannot imagine my SN2 without a HCDR (same could be said about my XPS DR on my NDX). Substantial upgrade.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.