Supernait 2 upgrade options - what next?

I have seen Naim DACs for less than 1K from very well-respected Naim dealers — great value for money, I think.

1 Like

My dealer has my old one for sale at £1700, I bought it from him new almost exactly 1 year ago.
On the nDAC front, you can get a decent one for well under £1k but you then need to feed it with a transport and cable it up accordingly so it only changes the DAC not the streamer setup.
On the question of if it sounds as good/better than the ND5, I think without adding a PSU to the nDAC it would be comparable given you are using a SN2 so thinking of the system as a whole.

What dealer would be (for the ND5 XS2)… if you don’t mind me asking :grinning:

I’ve seen a few nDacs for the £950 mark… so, that plus the linear power upgrade for the Node 2 is a viable option compared to the ND5?

I don’t think forum rules permit us discussing specific dealers but I’m based in Berkshire UK and they are pretty local to me. I’d expect if you are UK based that would work out easily enough. It’s my old one so I know it’s been looked after :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks… yeah, not to hard :grinning:

That said, if you had the choice of the ND5 or, an nDac for £925 paired with the Supernait 2?!? Decisions eh

I’d get the ND5, it is far more than a vanilla DAC as the nDAC is and for the money does all you need in one box giving you support for all the streaming services including Spotify, Tidal and Qobuz natively and local UPnP, Chromecast, Airplay, Bluetooth, wired Ethernet and Wi-Fi and ability to control it all from your phone/tablet. You’d need to add all that to an nDAC somehow, I’d question if what you’d end up with would be any better than doing it all in one place with an ND5.

Basically sound has one too… PayPal as well

No pressure then! Looking forward to the “just got ND5 XS2” thread from @anon23154165

Yeah… not much :joy:

I sense it coming sooner rather than later!

1 Like

@Mr.M Hi there… could you confirm your first name… or, the last 2-3 characters ? just needing to confirm something regarding a potential acquirement :wink: Cheers.

Oh crikey, rather not say if that’s ok!
What you trying to sort out?

The ND5 XS2, or better still, save for the NDX2.

no problem at all… I was just looking for a single character…due to coronavirus, couldn’t take payment other than bank transfer. This is a little risky due to spoofing etc and when I mentioned I had contacted you on the forum he mentioned a 1st name. That said, I’ve done a few other checks so fairly confident now that I haven’t chucked a lot of money to a random guy :grinning:

If it’s my old kit then the dealer is an official Naim reseller and well established and are one of a few Statement dealers in the UK, I’ve made bank transfer payments to them many times over the years. They are listed on the Naim website as a dealer as well.
If you’re buying something from an individual or auction site you’re on your own of course!

1 Like

@Mr.M I’ve been able to confirm it all. It is your piece of kit and it’s now making it’s way up North and will be with me tomorrow :smiley:

Hoorah!

A happy and oddly joined up ending, do keep me posted…

PS: He has my old HiCap DR as well, just saying…

2 Likes

Will do… did you use the Din cable? I have Tellurium Q Black interconnects. Not sure which will turn out best… probably have to play around and see.

Edit… HiCap hummm :laughing:

I only ever used a Hi-Line with it which I’d used on a CD5 XS prior to that.
You could also use the Naim IC that comes in the box as a comparison. They are actually well made and decent performing cables and you can use it to compare against the other one you already have to experiment.
You should find that the ND5 is pretty well run in but do leave it on and playing for at least a few days once you have it unboxed and setup to let it settle in.

2 Likes

I like a happy ending chaps :clap::clap:

2 Likes

Yeah, it will be getting a lot of running in during the day. I’ll just leave it running through the night as well (muted)

@Mike_S Happy for me… not the bank balance :laughing: That said, £600 saving can’t be sniffed at… thanks to @Mr.M for pointing me in it’s direction :+1:t2:

1 Like