Supernait 2 vs. NAC 282 / NAP 250DR

Since I purchased pretty much everything pre-owned I have to assume it’s burned in… youngest piece is the ND5 XS2 streamer and that’s coming on 4 years now… but if one believes in the system settling in together (which I do) then this specific combination has only been together for a few weeks. Got all original Naim cables in place except for speakers - that is just 2.5mm OFC in-wall plus runs from the sockets. I’ve also recently tried a flashback attenuated din interconnect which does temper things a bit and am likely to keep it in. Perhaps I liked the SN2 because it was less bright than other Naim pieces… but now my brain wants the darkness of the SN2 with the clarity and power of 282/250. Can’t we have it all?

1 Like

Admittedly I probably should have gone source-first … not necessarily off the table but may be a little while.

1 Like

I think to understand that you use non Naim speakers cables. Is it that ?
If yes, what is the brand of these cables ?
2,5 m is not enough too with Naim amps.

I think many people use non-Naim speakers especially as they don’t make any these days, and their current line of speaker cables is quite high-end. Anyway… the cables I am using are 2.5mm2 thickness and run about 4m in length all-in. That’s not something that’s been changed recently.

Indeed. I suspect a minimum of 3.5m (preferably 5m or more) of NAC A5 cables made up expertly by a good dealer is what’s required here.

The source too is a little out of it’s depth although I’ve heard a ND5 XS 2 sound surprisingly good into a 500 series system, with some ruthlessly revealing Focal speakers, at a Naim demo, though not ideal in the long run. There’s no mentioning of a HiCap, how is the 282 being powered? I would stick with all the original stock cables that came with the kit.

1 Like

Actually Naim do make NACA5 which is not outrageously expensive and used by many.

That’s unfortunately not enough information to know if they are suitable at this length

The amp that is attached to them has changed, and the SN is more tolerant with speaker cables than the 250 is. If I were you I would make sure that your cables fall into the envelope of electrical specifications as defined by the recommended length of NACA5. Or simply try NACA5 :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Just to add, it is very important which cable you use on Naim, because they do not build Amps in the same way as others, and therefore have a specific requirement for speaker cable. There are a few other manufacturers that do design cables for Naim that have these specific requirements
e.g. you would need something that comes. close to:
NACA5 specifications are as follows:
Capacitance: 16pF per metre
Resistance: 9 milliohms per metre
Inductance: 1uH per metre

Minimum length: 3.5 metres per channel

1 Like

Yes, sorry, I was thinking of the super lumina cables when I said only high end. I’ve had some NACA5 before but not here (where the cable is in-wall). I have specs somewhere for it though. Tbh, I hadn’t considered there is a difference between what would be acceptable for the SN2 vs 250DR. That said, the most recent change prompting this thread has been the 282, so I’m still somewhat unsure about the speaker cables being an issue. I think my next step is to compare the SN2/250DR with the 282/250DR once more.

Thanks I will check. I thought that was more applicable to CB and Olive series but I suppose there is a design heritage that carries forward.

It may be nothing, but if there is an issue and the cause unclear, it’s best to rule things out just to be sure. If you have the cable specs, it’s easy to calculate its inductance and capacitance over 4 meters and compare it with the values of the 3.5 m NACA5 that are minimally recommended (see the forum’s FAQ about speaker cables)

By the way, as the thread has taken a turn towards problem diagnosis I would mention that the system sounds quite good as it is.

The main point was to share my recent experience of increased fatigue, and see whether others have felt the same after moving up to a more revealing system, such as SN2 to 282/250.

I certainly also appreciate all the suggestions and will continue to read, listen, and adjust.

I think that’s a bit inevitable because fatigue and questioning the move didn’t happen to most people or they got it solved, I think, so will be inclined to look for what’s wrong

I think it may be a case of adjusting to a more revealing pre- amp to a degree. Sometimes we need re- wiring to what we are hearing. I’d agree that the 282 /250 really needs source which isn’t going to be exposed by the amps though. I’d give it time if I were you and then after experimenting with the NAC A5 consider perhaps a home demo of an NDX2 / XPS DR if possible.

Before you rush out to upgrade any of the gear, I experienced the same fatigue when I went from XS2 to 202/200.

Try playing around with your speaker positioning, this solved it for me, needed a reduction of the toe in to calm it down.

1 Like

Yes it does. The amps sound different so you will surely hear a difference between the SN2 and 282/250DR. The issue here is most will expect an improvement with the costlier separates but it doesn’t work out like that every time. As others have mentioned, the more revealing equipment haa revealed the shortcomings of the system and tilted the balance.

The 282/250DR is known to be a forward and dynamic sounding amp, full of verve and life which made music sound larger than life. For this reason some people find listening fatigue to be higher with it. Few suggestions on this thread to alleviate some of the excessive liveliness may be useful.

Speaker amp match is crucial and I’ve checked to see if there is anyone else who uses Shahinian Arc with 282/250DR. On another forum, there are few who use Naim with the Arc, one who used 282/300DR without any complaints. This may suggest that there is nothing wrong with the system you have now. Perhaps you need to get used to the new sound or optimise other aspects of the system, speaker placement or room etc. to improve things.

FWIW I find the verve and liveliness of the 282/250DR to be desirable when matched with Harbeth speakers. With other amps which include the Nait XS, the Harbeth sound dull and dead. Nevertheless, listening fatigue of the 282/250DR is higher when matched with few select speakers particularly revealing ones but it appears that your Shahinian Arc 2 is fine.

3 Likes

I really liked the 282 but with the 250DR at higher volumes aomewhat fatiguing with some music ( I have B&W 805 D3 also.)

Not suggesting this as the only solution, but worked wonderfully well for me: 252/300DR.

Both bought on the used market, cost somewhat offset by the sale of 282/250.

Happy as a clam now.

3 Likes

We really insist on these speakers cables because it may really be the key.
I have followed other threads through years and some had complaints on the sound being bright or fatiguing. Very often the situation changed when Naim cables were introduced.
For now , the non Naim cables which work well with Naim amps are:
Chord, Tellerium, Which Hat. Maybe I miss one or two brands.
You can borrow some Naca 5 from a dealer. You will know if it’s the reason or not you encounter some fatigue.

4 Likes

Change your cables. Power cable, speaker cable etc. The cables from Chord company do not fit Naim. For power cable, if you spend money on PL, the same price range just go to Cardas which can make your system more balanced. If you have the chance, take care of your power distributor as well. If you use US plug, you will have more choices.

Hang on… :grinning: am using Powerline Lite on all mains connections. Original Naim cables for interconnects. Speaker cables have been discussed (I’ve been lambasted already for not having NACA5 in place). This is all UK power. :uk:

1 Like

Which cables?