Supernait 2 vs. NAC 282 / NAP 250DR

Remember that by removing the 282 what you are doing is closing the window that is revealing your weak sources. It’s really best to step back and work out where you want to go with the system. Can you stretch to the sources that do justice to the 282/250? Might good sources and just the SN2 be a better way?

7 Likes

As you get higher up the Naim range the more the system becomes sensitive to setup. At 282/250 level it’s worth paying attention to things like cable dressing and even plug order if using a multiway block.

What sort of support is the system on? I’d guess it’s not full Fraim as the cost is frightening but if you have it all piled up box on box it won’t be doing it any good at all, a rack with a lot of steel in it would make the sound brighten and harden and mess with the timing, piano music suffers most, but something that’s mostly wood won’t do too much harm, especially if there’s a bit of decoupling between levels.

Don’t let cables touch the rack if you can help it, interconnects shouldn’t touch power cables either and even better if they hang free of everything.

If the turntable is on the rack that will have to go on top of course and with the higher end preamps they’d come second but a 282 isn’t quite so sensitive and I actually preferred a CDX2 above it when I tried the two arrangements, very much not the case with a 552.
phonostage next but not sharing a shelf with the hicap or PSC, though I found those two could pair up either above or below the 250.

On plug order with a linear multiblock try, from where the power enters it,
Turntable ps, Streamer, hicap, PSC, 250. I’m assuming a stageline powered from the 282 but if there’s a phonostage start with plugging it in before the 250 but experiment with other positions. The differences are in how the music flows and the detail fits together but are less overt than higher up the range so take your time. There’s a school f thought that pretty much reverses my order so don’t take it as gospel, more of a place to start, I find the reversed order sounds more overtly detailed but doesn’t flow as well.

Stick with the standard Naim (Lavender) interconnects that should have come with your kit and preferably NACA5, at least till you’ve tamed the system.

2 Likes

Clearly some trust issues here Dave, but just because your paronoid it dosen’t mean the woman in your life isn’t trying to manipulate you with their special powers right.
Seriously it’s only money, your money mind and you earned it right. You only live once and you have my full blessing and yes I have friends that are keeping a close eye on your spending habits.
Lots of love google

PS
If you get any negative feedback when your setting your new system up just show her this message ha ha

2 Likes

Thank you, Google, for the support. :grin:

1 Like

No problem. For me, Cardas power cable fits for Naim. And Esprit cables may also fit. Maybe for speaker cable, people can have a look there

Thanks for all the thoughts. The equipment is not on Fraim (not an option due to room config) but rather on alcove joinery (mdf, not wood). Turntable on top, streamer and preamp side-by-side below, next is phono stage and power amp, then power supplies at bottom. Each is on its own shelf with about 15 cm gap between. Not fully brains/brawn orientation, but fairly close.

I would admit my cabling is not quite dressed (to put it mildly) and am using an array of standard wall sockets for mains power. I suspect this paragraph in particular will be the start of further discussion. :upside_down_face:

I knew there would be other out there!

1 Like

I’m a source first advocate but how do we know this isn’t poor balance - i.e. the warmer SN2 simply worked better?

Whilst ND5 XS2 / 282 / 250 / Arcs might not be the most musically engaging way to spread the funds, is the ND5 XS2 really that weak?

I think you can! This is a minority view on here, but I like the 250.2 better than any of the 250DRs I’ve heard.

Also, I think it’s worth trying a few DACs with your ND5XS2; when you find one you like, you then have the option to sell the Naim streamer and get something cheaper that performs just as well. (I would put the cash toward a decent LP12, but that’s just me.)

1 Like

I wouldn’t worry about any of this stuff. I have my 282/250.2 on some old Ikea Corras nightstands and my cabling arrangement leaves much to be desired (though I do keep the tonearm leads clear of any other wires.) It’s all good.

One other possibility occurred to me: you could try using the SN2 as an amp, as well. Might be worth a try to see if it’s the 250DR that’s bugging you.

Managed to arrange for this. Now trying every configuration… possibly am getting a little numb to the differences.

The SN2 on its own is sounding full and easy. I still think it is an outstanding value, but the other options reveal the next step up.

SN2+250.2 had very similar character to SN2 integrated, but more weight.

SN2+250DR instantly more dynamic… I think this is a better step-up from bare SN2 than 250.2 was.

I didn’t try the SN2 as power amp to the 282.

282+250.2 sounding more detailed than either SN2 combo. There is a dark/warm/full quality that I often like (and definitely did with my prior speakers) though the bass can sound a little manufactured with the Shahinians.

282+250DR clearly the most detailed, most dynamic, most hi-fi sound. Quite impressive, as it was in a demo room where I first heard it. Need to decide for myself if it’s really what I want day-to-day. :man_shrugging: The 250.2 was easier to listen to.

Maybe some trading and a source upgrade are in order; and then a break from analysing for a few years.

3 Likes

Just firing up the same set up for the first except with Sopra 2s.

Upgrade from the Nova. Holy S***balls. Agree with everything you have described. Have some tinkering to do with room treatment, cable management etc, but at the moment the rollercoaster is on the up.

The Nova was a fantastic, but this is another level.
Worth the financial outlay…that is something I will need some time to consider?

Apologies as a bit off topic, but this post resonated with me

3 Likes

Somewhat on topic - at least your end state where the thread started.

This usually ends with 552/500 recommendations :joy:

3 Likes

I’m constantly amazed at how much more musical information can come through at different levels of kit.

1 Like

I think I’ve already gotten a rec to go to 252/300 as a solution… so partway there.

1 Like

Yeah… diminishing returns for sure, but the returns are there! I do think the pseudo-omni nature of my loudspeakers may have something to do with the sense of cacophony with the forward, open, and detailed presentation of the 282/250DR.

2 Likes

Just re-read the op. Yes I was more relevant than I realised.

Certainly no fatigue here. The level of clarity is initially almost alarming.

I started this ‘journey’ with an Atom. Well actually a sonos amp. In a couple of months I have emptied my pockets and this last step was quite scary in as much as would the investment pay off?

I read much about inferior sources…mainly from the halibut chap, and admit to being sceptical and a tad resentful that I had a ‘mullet’

Couldn’t be more content now though and appreciate that I have running in improvements to come.

A significant improvement for me whilst running the Nova was introducing Tellurium Black 2 speaker cables. Another upgrade I was sceptical about, but was pleasantly surprised.

3 Likes

That’s good to hear. I’m often skeptical about cables suggestions beyond just getting something of good quality that is suitable for the system. Once we get into the space of heavy marketing and esoteric claims I’m out. Not the first time I’ve been suggested Tellurium Black though… must be something to it!

Worth looking into. I was a bit surprised yesterday when I gave my speakers a good toe in. The sound seemed more focused and easier in the upper range. I thought this move would lead to the opposite effect. Room reflections?