Supernait 2 VS Nait XS3?

Have the ND5XS2 now and things are better but the Spendor’s attack in the drums is not as punchy as I wished.
My previous Russell’s had more impact. The Proac DT8 (much cheaper) also had this great punchy sound which is really good for most of the music I listen to. I am wondering to bring the Spendor’s back and get the cheaper (but a bit ugly) DT8’s…

Things get a little better when I crack the volume a bit up.

Have you listened to the ProAc D20’s. They are in the same price range as the Spendor’s A7 speakers. Just a thought if you enjoy the ProAc speaker line.

2 Likes

I did, but it was the D20R with he ribbon tweeter. I liked the soft dome tweeter of the DT8 better for its wide soundstage. The DT8 seemed more fun and the D20R more refined. The dealer recommended the DT8 would suit be better and I agreed. Maybe the D20 with soft dome would be even better but I can’t audition it.

The customer can order either ribbon or dome but it does appear that the dealers are not going to carry both in their inventory. Good luck with your decision and hope you get it sorted out.

Yeah almost all dealers have the R version and not many dealers of Proac here :frowning:

You mentioned a large space in an earlier post. How large is it? I’d hazard a guess that you’ll need a lot more drive than the XS3 can provide to drive those Spendors in a large space.

5.20m wide x 6.90m. On the floor plan it is the left part that has “woonkamer” in it. The speakers are firing down towards the windows .

The red boxes are the speakers.

What a good picture, that’s so helpful. I think a Supernait, ideally the 3 which is improved in the bass, would be a very good idea.

1 Like

Do you think the A7’s have the mid-punch I describe? Or is this a thing that the Proac DT8 just does better?

The proac’s also have a extra 6.5" driver compared to the A7’s

That’s a rather nice two-bedroom apartment. :grinning:

1 Like

The view is even more stunning :smiley:

Well, soon you will need to show us that view in the System Picture thread. :grin:

1 Like

Haha. Sure will do but still need to finetune some things first.

1 Like

I don’t know, sorry. I’ve never been keen on Spendors and the only ProAc I’ve heard is a D 18 or 20 and I thought they were very poor. If you preferrred what the Russell Ks did I wonder why you sold them. You want efficient speakers in a room of that size.

1 Like

FWIW… I have been at my dealers when he has had Spendor and ProAc demonstrations. I personally enjoy the ProAc speakers over Spendors.

Have you listened to the DT8 speakers at the dealers? If you like them in his demo room then the next step is to bring them home for a demo.

You have had the A7’s in your room and know what they can do. Ask your dealer to bring by or let you take home the ProAc DT8 so you can do a side by side demo for a few days. That way you will know for sure.

Good luck in finding the right pair of speakers for you room! …and agree with others that your room layout looks fabulous. Look forward to when you can post some photographs of your system and view.

I can’t speak to the speakers however I’m interested in the ProAc’s. For more bass, one thing that helped me was the addition of the nDAC. I think that’s on your list of upcoming purchases. More bass was the first thing I noticed when I added one to my ND5XS2 with a XS2. Punch is what I’m after as well.

I have the A7’s with a SN3, they do plenty of bass as was confirmed with a Harbeth home demo I had recently which were a little light in that dept. The Spendors are perhaps slightly lean in the mid bass but if you spend some time with positioning and make sure they’re isolated from your floor properly they do sound very good but I’m not sure Spendors are overly punchy speakers to begin with. The A4’s from memory are probably punchier but not as detailed or dynamic.

1 Like

The A7’s really shine with instrumental/folk/etc. Adding a HiCap Dr to my SN2 brought out the low end too with my A7’s. I think that if you are looking for punch, maybe add in a sub woofer, I use one, had it before I got the Spendors and not used them without one.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.