Supernait 2 w/ Hicap?

Hi,

Will a Supernait 2 benefit from a Hicap non DR? I read good things about the SN2, built in DR power supply for preamplifier section - being one of those good things.

And how will a SN2 w/ HC stack up against HC, NAC82, NAP200?

Thanks!

-Thomas

1 Like

Thomas, I seem to remember that when the SN2 was launched a UK dealer said that if a hicap were to be added then it had to be a hicap DR. A plain hicap would mean that the DR in the integrated’s existing internal power supply would not be used.

I can’t answer your second question.

Chris

3 Likes

Hi Christopher,

That is what I suspected. Thanks :slight_smile:

-Thomas

1 Like

The preamp power supply in the Supernait, like that in the 200, may be DR, but it is a single rail supply squeezed into a box with a load of other electronics. So it has little chance of competing with a dual rail supply in its own dedicated box. So I would be very surprised if a Hicap didn’t perform better than the internal supply as long as it’s properly set up, and in good condition, bearing in mind that a non-DR Hicap is likely to be old enough to need a recap if it hasn’t yet had one.

Another consideration is that not everybody prefers the sound of a Supernait with a Hicap. So in any case you need to listen carefully and decide for yourself.

In answer to your other question, I would take the 82/200 any day in preference to any Supernait. Again, with the usual caveat that it should be properly set up and not in need of a service.

3 Likes

I had the supernait 2 dr and hicap dr n loved it but had it 3 months n listened to separates …n hence the journey started …so enjoy :grin: :loud_sound::loud_sound::notes::notes:

2 Likes

NAC282 and my NAP200DR is my dream amp btw but that’s another story!

C.

2 Likes

Thanks, Chris.

I am just checking out options if I were to return to a “one box system” some day. Well "one box system would still be “a bunch of boxes” I guess… Concidering possibly SN2, record player, streamer, RIAA, PSu’s… :wink: I guess I will stick with the HC - 82 - 200!

1 Like

I have the separates, and I guess I’ll stay right there :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.