Supernait 3 humming when connected to AV Receiver

I am sorry to disappoint you by saying this,but the ground loop Isolator devices not only isolate the hum but a great amount of low frequencies (bass) as well.
Trust me I tried one two years ago & I wouldn’t suggested it as the solution.

Yeah, was kinda hoping that - since most of the low frequencies will be going to the sub for 5.1 - that the sound will not be too affected.

1 Like

A ground loop isolator may well fix the hum, but I suspect the root cause is that nothing is linking signal ground to mains ground - the Aria looks to be double insulated too. Naim’s design philosophy ties signal and chassis ground in one place only, traditionally in one of the source components. (In my system, that’s the CD player, and the other Naim source box is set to floating.) @james_n‘s suggestion to make up a lead to connect the earth pin on a 13A plug to the SN3 chassis ground should fix this - BUT you should only do this if you know your way round a 13A plug! If in doubt, don’t…

1 Like

Hello, I have the same problem with a NAD T758 and my Supernait2.
I tried many think but I always have the noise in the two speaker.
I have separated both, Now I have two pairs of speakers, one for HiFI and one for home theater.

So, a quick update.

I received the ground loop isolator yesterday and tried hooking it up to both the Denon end and the SN3 end. Sadly the hum persists but no problem - I can return the isolator.

I spoke with a Naim technician this morning and he confirmed it is a ground loop hum and that I should try running a copper cable from the ground socket on the rear of the SN3 to the RCA jack on the rear of the Denon where the SM3 plugs into. Will try giving this a go later.

Hello xfilian, can you give more precision where you have to connect the cable on the rear of the Denon.
Is it on the ground of the RCA plug ? on both plug ? Thank you.

1 Like

A shame about the isolator but at least it seems that a ground loop isn’t your problem. I’m not quite clear what adding the additional wire will do. From what you’ve described it’s adding an additional signal ground path that is already there between the two units via the interconnect.

If that doesn’t sort out the hum then try the SN3 ground terminal to mains earth connection. Here is one I made a while back to fix a similar issue between a Sonos connect and my Nait 1.

3 Likes

James - perfect sir. Wired up the plug as you have above and placed the end on the ground on the SN3. Hum instantly gone. Now screwed in place and enjoying the amp with a quiet background. Thank you and everyone else who contributed. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Good news - the SN3 will be staying then :grinning:

Yep pretty sure she is a keeper :+1:. Now do I get a new one or beat them down on price on their demo unit?? :grin:

2 Likes

Thank you james_n, I have to try, it is for the next week-end.

I took the time to do the test, but unfortunately now I know what is a real HUM :grimacing: and I hear it when I plug the ground on my SN2 or on the NAD T758 v3.
So, what I hear is not a HUM but it is a sizzle only when I switch on the AV button.
Have you an idea what happen? :cry:

Hi Pierre - apart from the Nad, what else is connected to the Supernait ?

I have been through this and the difference between a “buzz” and a “hum” is either absence of any ground or a too many ground connections (ground loop), but I am darned if I can remember which way round it is. I THINK the buzz is no ground. Years ago I had the same issue with my SN1 and a Yamaha AV amp, the situation was only solved by replacing the Yamaha with a Denon. But given that you already have a Denon, that is clearly not the answer.

Have you tried grounding a spare RCA input on the Denon?
If when switching to AV on the SN3 is enabling an input with no ground, this may provide the required ground connection?

Hello, james_n,
I do the tests with only the Supernait 2 and the home theater NAD 758 all other boxes out and I have the noise not a hum but a sizzle.
I plugged the power on the same electric net, on the different, I tried on a ground dedicated ( not connected to the home electric net) for the SN2 and/or the NAD and many other thing and I always have the sizzle.

Sorry it has taken a while to reply but I have been otherwise occupied.

I now have a new Supernait 3 and the demo unit has been taken back to Sevenoaks Sound and Vision. They kindly made me up an earth cable to go with my new amp as I had informed them of the humming issue. Got the new amp home, plugged it in and guess what - its as quiet as a mouse with no hum whatsoever. This is without an earth cable. A bit perplexed why one amp would produce the hum and another doesn’t but whatever - I have now have a hum-free Supernait 3 and could not be happier. Thanks again for all the advice.

2 Likes

Good… but odd!

Makes you wonder if there was a fault with the demo unit or it’s power cable.

Installation otherwise identical?

Yes Andy, absolutely identical. Literally unplugged the demo unit and plugged the new one in.

Oh well… I guess you’re not unhappy!

If you haven’t already, probably worth making sure Sevenoaks know the new one is unaffected, in case they want to check their demo unit. They might have lost a sale if you hadn’t persevered, and there’s an outside chance there’s a safety issue if the grounding is faulty.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.