Supernait 3 or NDX 2

Hi everyone,

i now feel like i’m now in a fortunate position to go for a NDX 2 or a Supernait 3? Given my current system, what do you think my next move should be? My source is a ND5 XS 2 and my amplifier is a NAIT XS 2 with a HiCap DR into Neat Motive SX2 speakers. I only listen to digital only should i say and am not interested in vinyl, i sold it all years ago…

Thank you for any insight on this current dilemma of mine and hope you’re all keeping safe!

1 Like

Not going to answer your question directly yet, but how is your cabling/power(mains)/rack etc? I’ve found a Hi-Line and better power cables for example are nice improvements that can be used later on down the road.

1 Like

Hi marcusman, thank you for replying. I use a HiLine from from streamer to amplifier. NAC A5 cables also. Power-Lines are throughout. I’m after a real ‘meat & potatoes’ uplift. What do you reckon? :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Sounds like you have all your bases covered! Source-first advocates would say the NDX2 but for me the weakest link is the pre-amp in the XS2. I’d be inclined to go for the SN3 first then NDX2. I’m normally Source-first as well but I consider the pre-amp as part of the source. In my opinion the ND5 XS 2 sounds as good as the previous generation NDX minus the XPS-DR of course. Tough choice regardless.

4 Likes

Yes, i’d be inclined to go for the SN3 first but i also think it’s the NAIT XS 2’s power amp side of things thst are the weak point, not it’s pre-amp section. Erm… The thing is i’m not interested in vinyl at all…a cutting and scratching DJ maybe, but not for me… NDX 2?

Lucky boy! I’d go for the amp… then no screen issues to fret about! If I went for the NDX2 I’d be thinking the amp is letting the source down , so the sn3 for me…

4 Likes

I would be inclined to say Supernait3 also or even 2.
You using any form of rack/dedicated stand at all?

:+1:t2:

3 Likes

Yep. Given you already have a new gen streamer, I’d say that the sn3 should be your next move. NDX2 after that.

3 Likes

I use a HiFi Racks rack and will eventually purchase a Fraim Lite. But that’s just icing on the cake IMHO. A real bourbon, meat and two veg is what i’m after, hence a black box?

How about a used Naim Dac and Supernait 2!

4 Likes

I’ve been very impressed with the SN2 with the ND5 XS2 and Hi-Line. Maybe someone who’s used a SN2 and SN3 will chip in offering insight but, maybe an SN2 with the additional funds going towards a future NDX2 purchase?!?!

4 Likes

Precisely my thoughts too! :+1:

5 Likes

Supernait 3

1 Like

Save some cash and find a SN2 unless you are adding the TT, then put the extra cash towards a NDX 2 in the future…

Lot of options, good luck with your decision and have fun on the journey.

1 Like

I’ve owned all the Supernaits and both the ND5’s and currently have both the SN3 + NDX2.
I’d be inclined to get a Supernait 2 and look out for a used or ex demo NDX2. Both will give measurable improvements over what you have today.
I’d expect the greater gains will come when you go to the NDX2 ultimately. If you can, do both in one go. Having had the SN2 till quite recently I’d have no hesitation recommending one to anyone, especially those moving from a 5 Series or XS NAIT, I nearly bought one myself last week!
Lots of fun ahead and I expected you to head this way sooner than later…

3 Likes

Thank you for your suggestion here trickiedickie. That is certainly an option that i would not of thought through and at the same time makes a whole lot of other sense. Naim DACs certainly appear to be bargains on the used market and de-coupling my ND5 XS 2 in that way certainly sounds intriguing to me.

That and a Supernait 3 with a HiCap DR could turn out to be a fantastic set. Especially as i could probably purchase both units for the price of a new NDX 2!

3 Likes

Hi Mr.M,

which one? i’m a little confused. I’m guessing you mean another SN2?

I would say, SN2 or SN3 first, since your streamer is at least the latest tech.

I just received my SN2, and it’s a fair step up from the amp in my Superuniti. I’ve connected the SU pre out, to the SN2 main in, and even with just the amp section of the SN2, there’s quite an appreciable increase in SQ. I’m also saving for an NDX 2. Probably a power supply upgrade in my future as well.

Dave

1 Like

Yes a used but 2018 SN2 to use for front channels in a 5.1 system.

I’d agreed with this, or new NDX2 later on.

2 Likes