Supernait 3 or NDX 2

Please can someone help me here. Will it matter if i purchase a NDAC from a German dealership? It will be ok on UK mains?

Many thanks

It will be fine, you will need a new power cable. Have you looked at or called tomtom or Cymbiosis in the UK before straying that far?

I have a spare Powerline Lite. The one i am looking at is probably one of the last ones ever built which is why i have strayed so far. I will check the two dealers you mention as i would prefer to purchase here in the UK and support our local folks. Also easier for a return should things turn out awry.

Thanks Gazza.

I just looked and tomtom do not seem to have one, might be worth calling them both based on impending trade ins.

1 Like

I just looked and indeed TomTom don’t have one. They have five.

This makes sense to me. IIRC for those considering upgrading, somewhere on Naim’s site in about 2008 it said, ‘Naim generally recommend improving the source.’

It’s been a while since I looked but maybe they still do.

1 Like

Indeed Nigel. They are all ten years old. I am looking at one in Germany that is late 2017 and i reckon around the same price…

I don’t see why getting it from Germany would be a problem and a 2017 would be easier to sell if you don’t like it. If it were me I’d be getting the NDX 2, which is probably not particularly helpful. That and later the SN3 would be just lovely. Fewer boxes, fewer wires, fewer shelves.

5 Likes

That would just about wipe me out. I do however see your point. Let’s just hope i get out bid :rofl:

Really, could not find them…well done, better bet than germany imo.

Stephen - it’s perhaps worth me suggesting that if you don’t go ahead with the dac, and forget the idea of a fancy switch and wires for the moment, you’ll be well on the way to the cost of an NDX2. Source first is usually best and the NDX2 with your Nait is well balanced. If you get the boxes right first, the tinkering with wires and switches can come later.

3 Likes

Thanks for reply Nigel.

Yes i have been sat here today and re-thinking about what a NDX 2 would bring. Also what a Supernait 3 would bring later on once i have built my finances back up. Bearing in mind that i can sell both my ND5 XS 2 and NAIT XS 2 along with other bits and pieces to help soften the blow.

The other thing is when it comes to buying new electronics i’m not really that keen on buying secondhand. I like to be the first person to take it out of the box. I like that special feeling of something new and fresh and burning in…getting excited as things settle in, and to be blown away when they do.

I have changed mind about a fancy switch and cables now and will put those finances to a pair of mint Allaes instead.

So; my ultimate and final dream system will be as follows:

NDX 2
XPS DR
HiCap DR
Supernait 3
Allaes

I reckon this will be a killer system and the more i think about it the more i think i can achieve it in say a year from now!

2 Likes

Don’t forget Naim were due to launch something in Berlin this week…worth waiting a bit, for me anyway?

1 Like

Ah ok Gazza, i wasn’t aware of that and very interesting all the same. I shall keep my eye out. Thanks.

1 Like

The NDX2 is a fabulous streamer, I’d be going this route and not worry about adding old boxes with dated specs,

2 Likes

Munich!!

1 Like

Yup. I think you’re right. Start with the source and a NDX 2 seems a good place to start. That’s what i’m going to do. I have retracted my bid for the DAC. Thanks for the reality check!

Just need to ring my dealer now. Next week at the earliest.

1 Like

That sounds a great system. The only thing I’d suggest is that if you have solid walls then SBLs are so much better. Sorry to be a pest.

1 Like

I’ve got both a SN3 and NDX2 as I’m sure you’ve worked out by now. Brilliant 2 box system, yes headroom for more refinement but it’s keeping me occupied sufficiently.
I’m not sure when it comes to Naim kit that
obsessing over it being factory fresh is making best use of your budget allocation. Aside from unwrapping it all which takes about 5-10 minutes then the usual, ooh wait a year or two then it will come on song cycles you aren’t gaining a lot more. The best deals to be had are on trade ins and ex demo dealer kit. Having said that I appreciate these things are a personal choice and absolutely respect that here.
I like many others can certainly vouch for the SN2/3 + NDX2 combo either with or without PSU’s. I stick by the opinion that currently SN2’s from the last 2-3 years are a total bargain and having gone from one to a SN3 I would still recommend one to someone on an upgrade path like yourself.
If you were aiming to do things incrementally I’d likely focus on the source first. If you want to keep the boxes and cabling down to something sensible an NDX2 will do a very good job, I’ve been very happy with mine and it partners very well with the Supernait.
Good luck on choices as always!

2 Likes

That looks like a fantastic system Stephen and hopefully you can stay the course and find all the components on a reasonable schedule.

My recommendation would be:

1. trade the ND5 XS2 for the NDX 2
  2. trade the Nait XS 2 for the SuperNait 3
  3. Add the XPS DR to the NDX 2
  4. Add the HiCap DR
  5. find a pair of Allaes

Good luck with your decision(s) and enjoy the journey…

3 Likes