Supernait 3 + Supercap DR

Hi Stevie, if you do try the test with the SC on the SN3, I’d be very interested in your impressions of the change that it makes to the headphone outlet on the SN3 compared to the Headline. I used to have a SN2 (no external ps used )and found that a HL2 and NAPSC outperformed it significantly. I wonder whether a SC will improve the SN3 headphone out to such an extent that it would make the HL2 obsolete. Thanks, John

My system has been built up over many years, so I haven’t had the opportunity to try every cable option with every box, but having had Powerlines before, I felt the Chord power cables were far ahead in terms of delivering a more detailed and powerful presentation. Some say that the Sarum cables lacked PRaT, but I didn’t notice that particularly. I was building towards a full loom of Sarum, but the speaker cables just sounded brittle and harsh compared to Super Lumina cables, so I went with the hybrid approach because it sounded better to me, against conventional wisdom.
I didn’t test Sarum T i/c vs Super Lumina, but the upgrade price from Chord was much more attractive, so I went that route. I therefore don’t know if it betters Super Lumina, but I am happy.
My ND555 had to go back to Naim for a screen fault, so I have a new one which is only 2 days old, but I still think it’s far ahead of my old 272/XPS/250 system musically.
Honestly, I really wanted to move to the new platform and got tired of waiting for a new 272, and as I didn’t want lots of boxes, 555/SN3 was the best step forward. NDX2/SN3 is a more conventional step I suppose, but it didn’t seem worth the outlay for a side step in performance. To me ND555/SN3 is lovely. I realise the SN3 preamp holds it back, but I don’t hear that when I’m listening. Everything just sounds to me as it should, a lovely insight into the performance.

3 Likes

Great insight, appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts.
I’d do the same if funds allowed but my current thinking is to enjoy the NDX2 and make the most of it so almost as good as where you found yourself.
I’m certainly happy to aim for and settle on a 3 box system, I may take a look at some cable options, I certainly use a few different Chord IC’s elsewhere and used to use RCA to DIN Chord cables in the past.
Appreciate your thoughts.

1 Like

Hi John
I changed from HCDR to SC2 on the Headline a week or more ago…made a lovely difference: melodic lines were easier to follow, instruments were more separated and layered to my none-too perfect ears, some vocals were clearer and there was a sense of solidity to everything. I would try the SCDR as well, but that’s firmly ensconced powering the Superline.

Interesting point about a Supercapped SN3 headphone out making a Headline redundant.
I really don’t know. The Headline is a powerful little beast. I suppose I should try it out when I’ve got time.

2 Likes

Interesting. I have a SC2 on a 282, should get a SLIC and test it out as well. What are the headphones that you have tried with the HL2 & SC?

@fps1k

Audeze LCD 3 and LCD XC.
The XC (closed) more than the open 3’s, because they don’t disturb my wife’s TV watching.

1 Like

I’ve heard the XCs before, but not on a Headline. Headphoneless at the moment, so in the initial investigative stages of finding something suitable…Grado 3000e’s appeal but there is no one local that does them unfortunately.

Perhaps the Supernait 3 is worthy of a SCDR:

9 of the best Naim Audio products of all time

By [Becky Scarrott

First Published 3 months ago

Mr. Vereker makes exceedingly good Naits…

1. Naim 32/Snaps/250 power amp (1984)

2. Naim Nait 1 power amp (1983)

3. Naim ARO tonearm (1989)

4. Naim CD5si (2012)

5. Naim ND555/555 PS DR (2018)

6. Naim NA SBL floorstanders (1986)

7. Naim Supernait 3 (2019)

8. Naim NAC-N 272 (2015)

9. Naim Statement Series NAC S1/NAP S1 (2014)

1 Like

It’s worth doing just to be able to refer to it as a Super Supernait, I think it sounds decent without a PSU personally and I’ve not found myself pining for my traded in HiCap.
I’m actually hoping adding a 555PS and maybe a SL DIN IC to the NDX2 will be all it really needs. At that point I’d need to take a long think if I want a big stack of boxes for more of the same just a slightly nicer and expensive version of it!

5 Likes

@Mr.M
I’ll be in a position to try the SN3 with my Supercap2 in a few days to a week, I hope (as I’m trying a new headphone amp very soon, so freeing up the SC).

I’ll post once I’ve had the 3/SC running awhile.

4 Likes

Many thanks, be curious to see what it brings to the mix.

2 Likes

Did you ever set that up and have a listen?

Hi @Mr.M
Sorry to be so slow. I set up the SN3/SC2 a little less than a week ago and was going to swap the HC back in, in about a week. I did think that things became more ‘holographic’ with the SC2, more divorced from the speakers if that makes sense (sorry, tonight I’ve been on the Bourbon) and easier to follow. I was really noticing details, and just plain enjoying listening. I’m listening with headphones right now and everything sounds spacious and layered - which is what I thought over speakers. But…still to swap the HC back in. I’ll report back when done. I’m returning this week to work, so please forgive any delay…

Where I’m not so sure is the £££ of it. Would I buy a SC to add to to the SN3? In that situation, I’d have to seriously look at the numbers. I’m very lucky in that I had the SC2 already and waiting. It impressed the heck out of me when I hooked it up the Headline (superceded now by Violectric) which was coupled with HCDR previously…and with SN3, I’m certainly not unhappy. Not at all…

2 Likes

Does anyone know if you can use the SN3 as a preamp by using the sub-out RCA?

There is a diagram in the manual showing how to use the SN as a pre-amp.

For 1,5 k more ( around), you can have 282/hicap / 200. I found clearly better sound from 282/ hicap / 200 vs SN2/ hicap. Quite night and day.
So personally the only advantage of SN3/ Supercap vs 282/ hicap / 200 is 1 box less and 1,5 less expensive. IMO.

I think you’re missing the point. The main interest is gaining a deeper understanding from direct experience of what effects adding options to a Supernait 3 brings.
More money and more boxes is the basis of the Naim upgrade path and well understood but not everyone wants to go that way despite it being what many advise as the “best” approach or use of system budget.
Consider this thread more about the theoretical than the practical!

5 Likes

Remember SupercapDR’s all go for around £2500 on a well known auction site and used examples with dealers. So your point is only valid based on full recommend retail price and brand new.

So if you have an existing HicapDR and trading or selling that on also, the upgrade to a SupercapDR isn’t overly expensive and well worthy of consideration in my opinion.
Obviously then if you wanted to make the step to pre/power you have the option of skipping the 282 completely and going 252.

1 Like

Yes, I’m aiming to stay off the upgrade path - because I know if I had 282/200, I’d then be thinking about the 250, 252, then the 300. Then…penury and divorce!
And given how the SN3 is sounding right now, I’m very happy to stick.

4 Likes

The best way to give up the habit is to stay away from the dealers!
From a casual look in a Hi Fi shop I’ve gone from Mu-So to Nova to SN3/Hi Cap/NDX2/XPS DR. Brilliant sound but I’ve started wondering about 282/ 300DR.

2 Likes