Supernait 3 upgrade options

Ryder - What cords are you using? I’m still working on a permanent solution.

The cords are not used with Naim amps at the moment. They are Acrolink top of the range cords. One of these cords cost more than my DAC. Best not to go there…

In my limited experience, Naim amps sound best with Naim’s own power cord. I don’t own the Powerline but have compared few mid range cords with the standard Naim cord which came free in the box. The standard Naim cord sounded better than all these cords which include the Wireworld Elektra 7. Tested on NAP 250DR, NAP 200 and Hicap DR. The Elektra 7 sounded better than the Naim standard cord only when used on the DAC.

Thanks Ryder- I recently acquired a Naim NDAC so I’m needing a power cord solution for that piece as well.

My new NDX2 and SN3 sounds superb to us - all relative of course - we had a 1990 Denon system before this recent purchase.

Im by no means an expert on upgrades and don’t have. a desire for more black boxes.

Am I missing something- if my two black boxes and turntable sound amazing to us - do I need to add anything else?

You aren’t required to add anything to your system. You’ll be fine if you just want to listen to music, can avoid wondering “Is it really possible music could sound better?”, and stay away from this forum.

2 Likes

I’d recommend Shunyata. I can say with 100% certainty that the Shunyata power cords at worst simply do no harm and the ones that really lock in are simply unbeatable.

2 Likes

I don’t require any good power cords at the moment but will surely look at Shunyata if I need an additional one.

1 Like

Ok community- I’m currently using Wireworld Eclipse 7 speaker cable with matching jumpers on my Supernait 3 > Totem Forest Signatures and jumpers. 3 meters. They really sound amazing and I really don’t want to lose the fidelity that I have. I asked Wireworld for some guidance and here is there reply:

Thank you for contacting us with your inquiry.

We don’t give the full electrical specifications of our cables to protect our intellectual property. That being said, the issue with Naim gear is more about inductance than capacitance, as they omit an inductor at the output stage of their amplifiers, and rely on the speaker cable having high inductance. Naim recommends a minimum speaker cable inductance of 3.5uH for their amps. The minimum length of Naim speaker cable to provide that unusually high level of inductance is 3.5m. We get much better fidelity by inserting a 3.3uH inductor in series with our low inductance speaker cables because of their greater preservation of musical waveforms. The inductance of 3 meters of ECS7 is .4uH.

We offer the adapters at a price of $100 for the pair. If you wish to order them please let me know; we don’t have them in stock, and it would likely take several days to get through production. Asking the community, the cables sound great, I don’t want to tax the amp unnecessarily. Should I go with the adapters or move to a different Naim NACA5 or other cable?
Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Short answer is no, your not missing anything! If you are happy with the 2 boxes that’s all that matters! Don’t worry about what others think.
For a lot of us this is a hobby and we just love tinkering with our systems to strive to achieve the best possible sound we can. And we come here to share our experiences and learn from others.
So there is no 100% right or wrong! Just enjoy :grin:

1 Like

Hello community - I have a question. I’m using AV Options Deep-Cryo DIN > DIN From my NDAC to my Supernait 3. My question is: can I use the Naim Hiline interconnects/ non DIN between the components? Are they pinned properly?
Thanks you
G.1

D

If you want the Naim sound then get NACA5 or SL.

Yes, you can use a HiLine, either DIN or RCA version. It’s a great cable. Any other regular stereo RCA cable would work too.
Naim boxes are generally optimised around the use of DINs, so it’s usually best to use them but you can try RCAs if you’re curious.

1 Like

ChrisSU - Thank you, considering all options. I’m using AV Options DIN>DIN From the NDAC to the Supernait 3 currently. Looking for a boost in performance. Any concerns on the Air-Plug connectors?
I’m hearing that they have some failures. Cracking etc.

Yes, they are fragile and can fail. In the UK Naim seem to be aware of this and generally repair them without charge, not sure about other locations (you’re in the US, right?) Of course, you could try the RCA version then this issue wouldn’t apply, but sticking with a quality DIN to DIN cable is probably best.

1 Like

Katzky2021 - Thanks for you input. I’ve ordered NACA5 and the Wireworld Inductance Correcting Adapter. Will do a shootout and report back. Unfortunately the Super Lumina is out of my reach currently.

Hello ChrisSU - I just ordered a 1.5 meter, Cryogenicly Treated Super Lumina DIN 5-5 cable from Nick at AV Options. Using it between my NDAC and Supernait 3. I’m looking forward to an increase in performance. In addition with the purchase- I’ll be ready for future component upgrades.

2 Likes

That’s going to be a GREAT upgrade.

marcusman - Thanks, I’m really looking forward to seeing what the Super Lumina Cryo can do.

Please let us know how it goes. I really would like one at some point. As others have pointed out, the hiline is a little fragile.

1 Like

I hope you enjoy the SL cable. It’s decoupled Airplug design seems not to have the durability problems of the Hiline.
For what its worth, when I borrowed my dealers SL DIN cable and tried it between my NDX2 and 282 it did nothing for me, so I didn’t buy one, although I did like SL speaker cables. Others will have different findings, so I guess you just have to listen and try these cables for yourself.

2 Likes