Supernait 3 upgrade options

Have your NAC A5 cables been properly terminated by a competent dealer or did you do them yourself?

1 Like

Katzky2021 - I concur. However I don’t want to many changes in the system at on time. The SL aren’t going anywhere and will be added in due time. In addition, the Supernait 3 is still on its 44th day of operation.

Respectfuly - I would never attempt to terminate my own cables at any price.
G.1

2 Likes

Hello folks - Over 110 hours on the NACA5.
Day 45 on the Supernait 3. I Listened to 4 + hours of high quality recordings today. I leaned into the S’Nait 3 pretty hard. It didn’t flinch at any of the complex media I chose to threw at it. All genre’s. It’s a very capable amplifier. The Synergistic Research Digital cable is settling and the NACA5 is getting into a rhythm as well. Better low frequencies, the midrange is getting much better but the top end is still hashy. Good center fill and female vocals are amazing through the Naim//Totem combo. I am really looking forward to the day I add the Super Lumina DIN5-5 cable. But we’ve made very positive progress today. Letting the spinner play on repeat for a while longer.

3 Likes

May i suggest that a component and/or interconnect change sometimes also requires a slight adjustement of the speaker position. It is worth a try especially if you want to tune in things as imaging and top end.

2 Likes

I second this… made a noticeable difference for me.

conlengo, budmoto. Thank you suggestions. I joined this forum for it’s members with their Naim wisdom and experience. So I’m going to take your advice. I’m adding the Deep-Cryo’d Super Lumina DIN5-5 cable today. That should boost the performance. The cable is gently used so I’ll need some time to get it
re-settled. It’s been coiled a box for a while. I’ve done a test fitting so the cable will droop freely and nicely. I have 120 hours on the NACA5 and day 46 on the Supernait 3. Perhaps a slight “Toe In” on the Totem Forest Signatures too. I increased the upward angle on the Totems slightly. I really like how the system is performing. I know that the amplifier is good now but eventually gonna be perfect. The NDAC is fantastic!
Cheers

1 Like

I’ve decided too give the Oppo BDP105D Transport well deserved break. I’m playing contious- random FLAC files from my external hard drive. Billy Gibbons, Perfectamundo has great momentum, and the bass is driving. The Super Lumina DIN5-5 Deep-Cryo cable is up next.

1 Like

FWIW I bought an inexpensive digit cable for my Oppo105D to digital out into my nDAC and the results are pretty outstanding. I really don’t play CD’s anymore but it’s nice to have options.

1 Like

Great news, I was getting impatient for you😎. Please let us know how it sounds.

I have mine firing straight ahead, and never found a toe-in good on my Totem Hawks or Forest Signatures. They are designed not to need them and hold there imaging from different listening positions. Off course, it’s good to try various positions etc for the best interaction with the room.

I’d say my Forest Signatures are end-game. A delightful and natural presentation.

Mike_S - I will keep everyone on the addition of the SL DIN5-5 's. In addition, I have always faced my Forest Signatures directly forward however I’ll try a slight variation. I have them resting on 2 inch thick maple plinths. And the Signatures are my favorite speakers too. They’ve got the Tone, Texture and Timbre anyone could want.

2 Likes

Hello everyone - It’s been about two weeks since my last post. Day 60 on the Supernait 3. Getting better every day. Amazing little amplifier. Driving the Totem Forest Signatures with authority.

The Super Lumina DIN5-5 is amazing! It’s like no other cable I’ve ever used before. It’s very neutral so it let’s the basic characteristics of the components shine through. It’s like “air” between the NDAC and the Supernait 3. Bass is tight! No bloat, fast and high frequencies are fantastic.

The Synergistic Research Digital is ok. I believe I’m going to make a change when I am able. The Chord Company has one I’ve got my eye on.

The NACA5 is proving to be very good as well. It took many hours but they are performing well. The system has very good PRaT. Great momentum without listeners fatigue. It’s the most musical system I’ve owned. It’s engaging at all volume levels. Low, med, high - it keeps your feet tapping.

9 Likes

You can take this to the bank.

2 Likes

10a is two High Caps.

Two hicaps doesn’t lead to the 252. It is a long term commitment to the 282/250 combo. The price difference between two hicaps and a supercap is insignificant in the grand scheme of our shared goal. Two hicaps + 2 power lines is $7,200. Supercap + 1 powerline + extra cable is $8,800.

1 Like

I like your list. I’d only move the Fraim (good support) before the SL Din -Din.

1 Like

Well Quadrispire EVO is expected upon purchase of the NDX2 & SNx. Vibration control value becomes more evident with separates. The upgraded interconnect will sound better early on AND buying an expensive Din → Din cable makes straying from the Naim path much more difficult. All cables should be purchased on secondary market or ex demo. Fraim has a design element and the correct color combination for the room could be difficult to find preowned.

Of course the one true path allows flexibility for out of order changes in the event good deals appear in the secondary market. I have a 300DR, no Fraim, a 282/hicap, SL Din → XLR, and SL speaker wire. The benefit of the upgraded speaker wire is minimal to me and mostly due to it being easier to manage.

1 Like

Katzky2021 - That is a mighty ambitious upgrade list! I offer my best to you and hope you succeed.
G.1

Don’t do the 252/300 if 552/500 is the goal. It’s a pointless step. Rather wait and do the 552/250 and then 552/500.

I’d say -
282/Hicap/250
552/250
552/500

If you can’t do 552 and 500 at the same time.

Cables - just buy them opportunistically when they appear on the s/h market.
Don’t get cables that don’t accrue to the end goal.

Also - listen to the end goal system before you make it the end goal - you shouldn’t slay the dragon and realize it wasn’t even hiding any treasure!

8 Likes

The more I’m back on the forum… the more I start thinking :thought_balloon: “hey! Maybe I DO need a 552 right now :thinking: $34k preamps make sense…”

Already have the 300 and unlikely to ever get a 500. Was going to buy a Supercap but can’t find an ex dem. Can’t find an ex dem 552 either. Not buying new unless dealer allows an in home demo and that’s not happening. Can get a Diablo 300 for $16.5k from local dealer. Supposed to be very nice but it looks weird and doesn’t have a green Naim logo. Can’t really demo that either so…