Supernait 3 upgrade options

No problem!!

1 Like

I think nobody heard really an Hicap on SN3 here, but a lot are following HH point saying that the Hicap doesn’t’ give much on it because the SN3 is already dr.
I would be personally very surprised if the Hicap doesn’t improve the sound of the SN3 .

2 Likes

Some went from SN2 to SN2 / 282, and found the upgrade bigger than adding a 250 dr after.

1 Like

FWIW, I heard a Hicap DR on my dealer’s SN3 and found the upgrade quite impressive indeed. So much so that I took one home there and then for my SN2! Everything sounds better; midrange in particular really opens up and separation between instruments improves. On my SN2, I noticed far less overhang on bass notes too. Great upgrade which sets you up nicely for the Nac282 if that is the direction you are headed.

2 Likes

That’s what I asked but most go blindly into recommending more boxes, what’s missing from the current sound that requires an upgrade?

4 Likes

The Naim philosophy is to keep the PS well away in a field 30 miles away preferably, so you would think that a separately isolated PS is likely to yield some genuine benefits.

1 Like

I have a HiCapDr on my SN3. I love it. However I’ve never run a SN3 without it. I carried the HiCap over from my XS2 days. I thought about trading it in but my dealer said I’d likely miss it over time and it’s great to have if/when I move to a 282 for example. I think @Stephen_Tate had a SN3 then added a HiCapDr.

3 Likes

I run my SN3 without an external PSU. I did use a HiCap on other NAIT’s including a SN2. I’ve never added one back in or felt a burning need to. If you have the space and funds it’ll likely tighten things up a bit and put some space around the midrange but other factors probably play a bigger part in system synergy overall.
My view on these refinements being that if you really want more than what a NAIT offers just cut to the chase and get a NAC/NAP setup, you could start that journey with a NAC282 + NAP200 for example and go as far as your credit card lets you.
The nice thing about the HiCap is that it can be used on a variety of products including the Supernait and NAC 202/282. I’d certainly not bother putting a Supercap on a Supernait unless you intend at some point to use it to power a NAC 252.

2 Likes

If one day you want to try to remove the Hicap, you will be the second proof here.
I think @Stephen_Tate has the SN2, but I may be wrong.

1 Like

Yes, someday I’ll do it as an experiment but lately I’ve been so happy with my system I don’t want to “touch” it for fear I’ll accidentally screw something up. I’ll admit I’m one of those guys that had his wires reversed accidentally and it took me a month to realize it.

3 Likes

I think there’s also an element of “do it because you can” with these things. Whether it “needs” it or not is mostly down to individual needs and wants. I’m probably one of the few that actually had a HiCap DR and got rid of it when I got my SN3.
I imagine having spent likely North of £1000 on a PSU you’d do what you could to make sure you “felt” it was money well spent.
It is a worthy and well matched addition but having owned all the Supernaits and various XS Nait’s, I found the SN3 did a decent job all by itself.

5 Likes

Agreed. The SN3 is really a “new” classic IMHO. Knowing what I know now (thanks to a bunch of members here) I’d place an emphasis on a PS for digital sources first. Specifically for the OP to answer his question I’d follow Roda’s advice

1 Like

Very happy with my SN3 too. If that is my final amp then I would be more than content.

And anyway I have the perfect antidote to upgrading = no money left whatsoever.

Hope the OP is feeling somewhat clearer about things.

6 Likes

Great thread this one. I have a SN2 and a Superline phonostage + HiCap DR. Thinking of putting a Supercap DR on the Superline and move the HiCap to the SN2. (Two upgrades in one :slight_smile: ) I would then be ready for the 282 or even a 252 when the opportunity presents itself. Does this make sense? Or should one rather first put the money on a better digital source (for example NDX2) to replace the Bluesound Node 2i? (I have been aiming to do my best with the vinyl source/phono first until now, and thought a Supercap DR for the Superline would finish that part).

There are so many ways to go from the bare SN2/3 it becomes hard to decide :slight_smile:

Regards

1 Like

Seem to me your under-powered.
A Hicap is needed for 282/250, so first step.

If streaming is used as much, or thereabouts as vinyl, then a great streaming front end would make total sense. Source first is the Naim philosophy and in a balanced system I would also add.

I had a node 2i and it is excellent at its price point, but it is not reference class. I used mine with a Rega DAC and not bare.

I then bought a Nd5xs2 and that was a very significant upgrade. The Ndx2 is of course even better and would be a suitable partner for the possible amp upgrades you are suggesting.

Even better of course with a PSU upgrade and on and on it can inevitably go.

3 Likes

Yes, you are probably right. It’s just that I somehow have been caught up with this idea about a Supercap DR for the Superline, and looking for ways to convince myself (Moving the HICap DR to SN2 and setting things up for future moves to 282 or a 252 and separate poweramp) :slight_smile:

Maybe the answer is NDX2 and the Supercap DR in one go… :slight_smile:

Regards

Agree that a 250 would be suitable poweramp in time for me. But I already would have the HiCap DR for the 282, if I got a Supercap DR for the Superline.

If you’ve comfortably got the money and if it is of that much importance to you then go for it!

I don’t know enough about the vinyl side of things to be able to comment.

1 Like

Better source, I’d be putting some thinking in to an NDX2, that’s nice with an XPS DR btw.

3 Likes