Supernait 3 versus CB

I thought it might help someone in a similar situation if I recounted my recent experiences with trying to update my system. I have had CB 42,5, Hicap, 140 for 35 years from new and had them regularly serviced. I recently acquired a NDX2 streamer and am very pleased with it, as it is a fantastic piece of equipment. I thought I would try the Supernait 3 as it pairs nicely with the NDX2 and would bring my system into the 21st century. I have given the SN3 a good audition and have tried it with my CB Hicap.
It is an excellent amplifier, but I have found that I prefer the sound of my CB kit. Perhaps this is because I am so used to the sound, but what I do find is that the CB amps have more attack to the sound, which makes it more interesting to listen to. The SN3 is more hifi and I can see why it would appeal to a wider market. This is highly subjective and I suppose it depends what you like. Anyway, I will be sticking with my CB amps and I certainly can’t complain about 35 years of use without any faults, as there are not many products you can say that about. I certainly don’t want to set off a CB versus black box argument again. I am open to suggestions for improvements. The rest of the system is LP12, Kore, Ekos (mark 2), Lingo 4, Krystal, Neat SX1 speakers.

6 Likes

How was the SN3 without the hicap? Adding an Cb hicap effectively disables the DR which is a step back for the SN3.

Supposedly the SN2 has more attack and the SN3 more hifi as well. My SN2 has plenty of attack for rock music.

Hi RJC52- and a warm welcome to this forum.
Really interesting post- thank you. I have a similar spec LP12 and the same speakers as you. My amp is an xs2- did you audition an xs2/3 before getting the SN3 and if so what were your thoughts? As an avid reader of this forum I am always wondering about “next steps”!

Thanks for the replies. I tried the SN3 with and without my CB Hicap. I take the point, but I found that adding the CB Hicap focused the sound more and improved the imaging. I haven’t heard a XS2 or 3, so I am not able to compare. I am sure I would be happy living with a SN3 if I wasn’t used to my CB amps.

1 Like

After living with the CB gear for 35 years, you may be experiencing “familiarity bias”. I’ve owned LS3/5As for over 40 years and just can’t come to grips with any other speakers (believe me, I’ve tried). The LS3/5As differ from every other speaker I’ve tried and the new sound just never seems “right”.

2 Likes

Yes, you lose the DR from the SN2/3 built in PSU, but you gain a twin rail supply that’s decoupled by being in a separate box. I suspect most people would find it worthwhile, with or without the benefits of DR.

Agreed. I had the same problem with Linn Kans, which I had for 30 years. It took me 18 months and lots of listening to different speakers. Eventually I found that I could live with the Neat SX1, but I still miss aspects of the Kans. Have you tried the Harbeth P3ESR, as I have heard them sounding very impressive?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.