Superuniti to be used as just a player

Hi everyone,

I have a Superuniti paired with Ovator S400 and NAC A5. I mainly stream my FLAC music ripped from my CDs.

Can I use my Superuniti as just a player/stream and hook it up with another amplifier?

Thank you.

Regards,
Liang

1 Like

You can add a power amp to the Superuniti - just connect to the pre-out DIN4. Or you could use it just as a streamer transport using the digital BNC output.

2 Likes

Hi Richard,

Thank you very much for the speedy response.

Regards,
Liang

2 Likes

I would just add that it’s possible connect the SU to a preamp or integrated amp, if that’s what you have. It’s not optimal, at least in theory, as the SU preamp cannot be bypassed so you are passing the signal through 2 preamps, and 2 volume controls, but some people do this quite happily.
What the preamp output is really designed for, though, is just a power amp.

We ran a SuperUniti with a 250DR power amp for a while.

Sounded great. The SU internal power amp, whilst excellent, did not grip the speakers in the way a 250DR did.

Whether it makes any actual sense to run a 5K power amp with a SU is another matter! Clearly the SU streaming stage and pre become the limiting factor. For us it was a step to the 272/250DR.

We also tried the SU as a transport via digital out into nDAC.

The SU is very flexible.

1 Like

Thanks. Noted.

Honestly, it is quite frustrating owning a Naim SU. I have a REL Subwoofer, I can’t even use the REL Subwoofer’s bare wires to connect them to the speaker posts at the amp’s end as Naim SU’s speaker post is just a banana female, no screw type connector for the bare wires.

Regards,
Liang

You wouldn’t really want to do that with a Naim amp anyway as it can result in poor performance. Better to connect the sub from the speaker’s own terminals, that way it’s not “seen” by the amp.

It’s possible to buy a sub cable designed specifically to cope with this. The Naim specific version of Rel’s Bassline Blue is a good, but expensive option. Designacable make a much cheaper version. Or follow Richard’s advice about and connect to the speakers.

I found a solution. Use a banana plug that comes with the screw-on for the REL Subwoofer bare wire connection. Just need to change one end of the banana plug of the speakers’ cables.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.