Survival without Tidal

I’ve been surviving without Tidal since they changed their login and I’m glad they did b/c I didn’t realize how much better Qobuz sounds through my legacy streamer. The content gaps were mostly a wash and I got some new music out of the deal.

3 Likes

Agreed, @ElMarko, I just registered for Qobuz and now enjoying some treats such as Cream’s Disraeli Gears at 24:192 with such a lot more ambient space around the previously heard close-miked sounds.
Also Ahlam by NES where the percussion is revealed to be a cahon played with precision.
So many of my 16:44.1 CDs are in Qobuz at 24:96 that it’s a media upgrade.

By the way, Cyrus support says it’s only Cadence (their own app) that’s disconnected from Tidal, and recommends mconnect.
I may be doing something wrong but regardless of track density I get “User not permitted to access this bitrate” even when fetching Tidal to Cyrus using mconnect.

… I’m not complaining or denigrating; it’s just an example of how difficult it gets when you’re supporting products you built when they have to work with products you didn’t build!

I do not envy any software developers this difficult task. However, I will observe that Logitech made their (inexpensive) Squeezebox system capable of automatically downloading and installing software updates over internet. No need to return to dealer (or factory) for software updates!

So. I don’t mean to be bashing Cyrus, who have given me great music, flexible upgrades, accessible pricing, for decades, but in general the lessons are that streaming software is

1. subject to unpredictable external changes;
  2. will need updates to address security and API changes as well as new features and bugs;
  3. and carries a support cost that is multiplied unless you can standardise across the range.

I’m looking forward to soon becoming a Naim streaming user. I’m sure there’s no perfect products but Naim seem to have taken streaming (and streaming software) seriously from the beginning.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.