Switch

That looks way too complicated for my grey matter!!! :joy:

Well I wont show you the main network point then, this is just one of the shoots!

Iā€™ll admit it is somewhat of a hobby.

1 Like

Same as with any other switch would be my guess? Anyway, itā€™s what I have, canā€™t say Iā€™ve noticed any difference between it and whatever I had it plugged in previously. Either a netgear or straight into my ISPs router, canā€™t remember which.

thanks. Thereā€™s a feeling that the better quality enterprise switches like Cisco etc are less noisy (in all senses) and so this leads to better sound. Iā€™ve found mine to be probably slightly better with the Cisco over the Netgear, but it may be confirmation bias, but am about to switch to Ubiquiti for many other reasons, and so wondered if anyone had any experiences - it seems all is goodā€¦

1 Like

my experience was the other way round, prefer ngs108tv2 over cisco 3560 which probably says more about my confirmation bias. and the difference (if any) was so small it was hard to prefer any of the feeds. please report later on your experiences with Ubiquiti as I am looking at their solution.

They seem to be going the wrong direction with the 2nd gen stuff IMO.
With the gen1 stuff if they havenā€™t added it to the GUI you can still enable it, with the 2nd gen stuff that seems to no longer be the case. Where it was an excellent choice for the power user, which I would think together with small businesses was their prime customer as it requires running a controller, theyā€™re now just dumbing it down to GUI only. I think the 2nd gen switches donā€™t even support SNMP anymore.

Not all Ciscos are created equal, hopefully you got a late model catalyst fast version or even better POE. I use a Amplifi HD mesh system with my ciscos and it works without a hitch. Canā€™t speak to the Ubiquiti switches but I suspect they work well enough.

The original interface is still there for stuff not in the new one. I got the UDMPro and did have some serious issues with it, but to be fair they are largely resolved and its an excellent bit of kit now.

Haha yes I know what you mean :smiley: ā€¦ Iā€™m not experienced enough to describe what Iā€™m hearing here but Iā€™ve been playing a few tracks that I know well with the cable plugged directly into the router and then again via the switch.
With the volume at 9 oā€™clock I was tempted to turn it down a bit at times with the direct connection, and the opposite via the switch. I donā€™t know what that means musically (smoother/clearer?) but Iā€™ve just played Metallicaā€™s The Unforgiven at a volume Iā€™ve not been comfortable with before ā€¦ so itā€™s definitely staying in for extended testing! :smiley:
Cheers,
Mark

UDM has no IGMP-Proxy, and no way to enable it (multicast routing disabled in kernel), so useless to me and most pro-consumers with IPTV. (Common in Europe, donā€™t know where you are).

Thereā€™s also no sign of it being added as people have been asking for years. Once my USG dies Iā€™ll unfortunately will have to look elsewhere.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.