Synology Media Server - Folder cover

I READ QUIET ALL THE AIF FILES IN MY SYNOLOGY 718. MELCO COSTS THREE OR FOUR TIMES SO MUCH AND THE MUSICAL QUALITY IS NOT THEN SO GREATemphasized text

Hi Peter,
We have approximately 1,000 albums on our Synology NAS drives. All the albums use the AIFF codec. We did have a hiccup when itunes decided to reformat/reorganise everything and changed AIFF to AIF (apple’s version of the same thing) but we managed to reverse the change and reverted to AIFF.

We started with a DS212+ and now use a DS716+.

All tracks display the artwork whether using Roon, itunes or Synology’s Audio Station. As Mike indicates above, Audio Station only shows the album artwork once we open the album folder.

If you are experiencing something different, let me know and I’ll see if a comparison of our respective settings throws up an anomaly.

Best regards, BF

I asked someone who uses iTunes.
He says they are AIF codec & one of his x2 streamers will not play them.
He runs them thru dBpoweramp “convert” to AIFF & problem solved
With Asset UPnP all the art is OK at all ‘folder’ stages

1 Like

Hmm. It may be that my files from Qobuz are AIF not AIFF - I’ll check later tonight when home.

Thanks very much for sparing your time and thoughts folks - really appreciated.

Peter

I have looked at my NAS files and the ones I am unable to play from the NAS have “.aif” at the end of each track file name. The file type is listed as AIFF-C. On the Qobuz website/ download section the drop down menu where you select format only states AIFF, not AIFF-C.

With reference to Mike’s post earlier today, could the AIFF-C be the route cause of my problem? Please excuse my ignorance of this ‘stuff’!!

Peter

Hi Peter, I’m guessing but … yes
If you must use AIFF, & personally I don’t see why, just make sure they are AIFF, or get one of the www programs to convert it, maybe better why not FLAC or WAV

The C stands for compressed, but I doubt they are. Apple use AIFF-C sowt, which has the byte order reversed, but no actual compression. These usually play without problem, but not always. I also suspect metadata issues may be your problem.

Some software is more fussy - JRiver and iTunes seem to play everything AIFF, where Audirvana and MinimServer didn’t. The trick below solved this for me.

As @Mike-B suggests converting files to FLAC is likely to solve your problem. In fact converting them to AIFF using dbpa or XLD will possibly do the trick (i.e.converting the format to the same format).

It is very strange, I can hear all the aif on the ND5 xs2 through synology! But sometimes I remember that I corrected the beginning of each like this: 1-track name.aif

Here

I installed a trial copy of dBpoweramp in order to experiment. On one album I converted the first track to .wav and the second track to .flac. Seems to have made no difference - the streamer won’t play any version.

One thing I noticed however, is that the file structure is different on the aif format albums from the mp3 album which plays no problem and I wonder if there is some sort of problem with this. I’m almost afraid to ask as I suspect it will put on public display even more just how ignorant I am of the digital music age!!

Most grateful if the learned contributors could, as subtly as possible, let me know if Qobuz has formatted the album structure in a way which I need to modify in order to play from the synology nas.

Peter

PS You can see that I tried changing the naming of the first two tracks after converting them with no success ie I changed the title structure after first finding they wouldn’t play from the straight conversion.

Peter

A rather bemused update.

I decided to try and convert one of the files to a low resolution format to check if file size was a contributing factor. When setting about doing this last night, I had to reboot my MacBook due to an imposed OS update, after which I tried to play the FLAC and WAV converted files. To my amazement they both played!!

Clearly I am very ignorant of all things computer - no clue why they wouldn’t play when first converted but then appear to work fine on return visit. Nevertheless it looks like I have found a temporary fix. Thanks for sharing ideas earlier.

Peter

If you have a Synology, try Asset upnp. You can set it to transcode specific formats formats, not an ideal solution, but might save you converting everything for nothing! Plus Asset is was better than minim or anything Synology offers. I have recenly bought Asset on the recomandation of various users on here and I’m really pleased that I did.

Dave

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.