System advice - 202/200 and beyond

John, curious about your experience, do I understand correctly you prefer SN1/HiCap to 202/200/HiCap/NAPSC ? For me it was vice versa.
Do not know about SN3, but SN1 could be the worst Naim product I’ve head.

2 Likes

Had them at home, the SN1 only lasted a few hours - I just could not get on with it., returned back at the dealer, and I bought home a brand new 202/200

Maybe the SN2 and SN3 are much better products, but I preferred even the Nait Xs1 to the SN1.

1 Like

Yes I preferred the SN1/HC to the 202/200/HC/NAPSC.

The change was instigated by my desire to reduce the box count but my dealer let me have the SN1 on home loan so I could make up my mind over an extended period, however pretty quickly it was clear to me which I preferred - so much more refinement and detail.

I played around with the 202 acting as pre to the amp in the SN and then used the SN as a pre into the 200 to try and pin down what responsible for the improvement.

I concluded that the power amp in the SN was pretty similar to the 200 though the 200 had a slight edge, but using the SN as a pre into the 200 revealed that the SN was just a better preamp. When I mentioned this to the dealer he concurred with my conclusions.

I lived very happily with the SN1/HC (and with my Allaes bought for the 202/200) until I became curious about replacing the HiCap with a DR version and a possible move to a SN2 but on dem as good as the SN2/HCDR was it wasn’t significantly better than the SN1/HC and I bought the speakers used for the demo - B&W 805D3.

A discussion ensued as to what would be the next step to get any really decent improvement and that was where the 282/250DR came into play.

The SN1/HC driving the B&W’s was delightful but the 282 - initially using the power amp in the SN1 - just showed how much better a really good preamp could make better music.

Eventually I added a NAP250DR and replaced the HC with a HCDR and then on to a SCDR. The HCDR now powers my SuperLine.

I feel that the 202/200 is really a hang over from a previous time where it would have been a good step up from (say) a Nait5 but once the SuperNaits came along its relevance became somewhat diminished.

Best,

John.

Not my experience. The 282 - even when powered by a 200 - is markedly better than the 202. I found the 202 strident and un-refined. The 282 is a much more mature and assured performer.

2 Likes

every SN1 that I heard had something annoying (like a tension) in the background - which simply goes away on a 202/200 and wasn’t there on a NAIT XS1.

Maybe @JohnBailey had a special SN1… who knows.

OH - and the way to test a 202/200 against a SN1 (for me) is to compare them a whole units 202/200 against SN1, not 202/SN1 or SN1/200, as you are still stuck with the inherent disadvantages of the SN1 when doing it this way.

1 Like

I was at the Bristol show at the year of the SN1 launch. @Richard.Dane conducted the demonstration and explained if I remember correctly that the SN1 was a bringing together of bits of the 282 and NAP150 combined with a DAC. If I’m incorrect Richard will put right. The same year I think Richard as the Avid/Aro demonstration?

Regards,

Lindsay

Almost, but not quite Lindsay; the design of the Supernait’s pre-amp was based on the NAC282 but “shrunk” by virtue of using surface mount components in place of through-hole. Of course, in analogue circuitry through-hole does sound better than surface-mount, but of course the latter takes amp a good deal of space that’s just not available when trying to pack it all in to a space a third of the size. And the power amp section was essentially based on part of the NAIT 5i, but with more power and capability.

1 Like

Don’t worry @anon41143757, you are still popular here, even if we don’t agree on this particular topic on 282/202.
:smiley:

1 Like

Got to Agree with the other comments on here re 202 through 252

There is marked increase in the focus of the music and separation moving up through the range

IMO 202 is best matched with HCDR, 282 with SC or SCDR, each pre pared with the right source is. Good upgrade on previous pre as you should expect in the chain

That’s certainly my experience on both my NDX and deck, will also add as a food note as I have upgraded my source in particular the Pre, certainly from 282, 252 give more detail ms reflect the upgrades

It’s a bit galling to have only 4 rails of the SC used on a 282. Once you’ve got the SC the thought that you can use all of it on a 252 starts to eat at me…cough… I mean, you. :wink:

Is 252 better than 282 the same way 282 better than 202 ?

Debatable that one Andre. It certainly is a more mature sound with greater resolution but to my ears the 202>282 is far bigger step change. You have to listen for yourself.

Regards,

Lindsay

2 Likes

I had V1/202/HC/200 and now I have NDX/202/HC/200 and I would say that although the V1 is a brilliant performer theres more to be had by changing it to a streamer instead. NDS or NDX pre-loved can be found.

Dunno If i listen to more music now than before, but im far less inclined to change anything at all these days. V1 is a tweakers paradise and can sound anything from outright awful to marvellous given transport and cables. A tip is to try Vertere USB cable and a Powerline on the V1

Good luck!

@anon41143757 I’m inclined to give you a like for that Dan, for your humour if nothing else!

Depends on cash

A 282 can be powered from a nap 200

A 252/SC dr is an expensive move

1 Like

I would say the 282 is slightly more forgiving of the source where as the 252 will show the source to the fulll both good and bad, in saying that my 252 works wonderfully with my NDX, at 16/44 but comes into its own with higher res files

The 252 on vinyl is a dream of a pairing with my deck have to say, and offers everything you would want from a Pre using analogue, in fact just playing David Gilmour live in Pompeii it is exceptional music

Inded it is but as a possible end game pre it is something to go for as soon as you can allocate funds. I recently bit the bullet and went from a 202/200 to the 252/250-2 and it is just a mahoosive difference. Where the 282/200 sits I can’t say but from the 202/200 I had, the change of ‘just’ going to a 282 didn’t attract apart from being a stepping stone.
The only change I can now contemplate, and not for some while, would be to 552/300.

1 Like

Antz, you pointed out to me perhaps the most interesting topic. I mean, I don’t have an amp right now and I’m thinking 282 or 252. One of the key characteristics we are looking for is forgiveness to record quality. From some people I know, I’ve learned that 252 is more forgiving, now you say opposite. Thank you for pointing it out, I need to know more about it.

Balance to me is just as important as source first, well balanced system from source to speakers in my experience will deliver more music which is all our goal

Spent a day with my dealer couple of years ago on a number of options and combinations with PRE,PSU, AMP the end result was a 282 into my then HCDR/200 with NDX and LP12

What’s your source ?