System advice - 202/200 and beyond

It’s not that one can’t hear a difference or gain some benefit it’s just that some of the potential of the source is compromised by using equipment downstream that isn’t really appropriate for that level of source.

So, for example (and I’ve not tried these combos so it’s just my hunch) a ND555 into a SN3 will likely not sound as good as a NDX2/555PS/282/HCDR/NAP250DR costing around the same money.

That is one reason why Naim or Linn etc. have clearly defined product groups (XS/Classic/500 or Majik/Akurate/Klimax) to deliver value at various price points.

2 Likes

but why should a SN3 sound as good as a 282/HCDR/2500DR.

If it did, nobody would buy the expensive 282 based amplifier.

as our esteemed moderator said, source first doesn’t mean source ONLY.

I do remember when I upgraded when I had a DAC V1 as a source from 202 to 282, yes the soundstage expanded in all directions - but it was still the same DAC V1 I was listening to…

no getting around that fact.

when I sold my DAC V1 for a Hugo into the 202/200 I really had many months of musical enjoyment, and I got a 282 as this is a life long hobby - and I really do enjoy it.

Hugo/202/200 for me could easily be my endgame system, if I had to stop here.

1 Like

No reason at all - and it doesn’t.

Exactly.

I couldn’t agree more with him - its what I’ve been saying in this thread.

Indeed. Clearly the 202 was holding back your DAC V1…

Good. And like you and many others I enjoy my 282 too.

If you had to stop you would stop where you needed to stop not where you wanted to stop. Fortunately for us we didn’t have to stop at the 202/200 so we carried on to the 282 etc.

Endgame:

noun: the final stage of a game such as chess or bridge, when few pieces or cards remain.

…to which I would also add also used as inappropriate term on forums in connection with Hi-Fi system building which is a hobby and not a competitive pastime.

@JohnBailey it’s important to understand what I am saying here - the 202 was not holding back the DAC V1 - and the 282 didn’t add any more musical enjoyment over the 202 to me.

What changed the game for me what the hugo (source), not the 282.

The DAC v1 is still a very fine source, but for my taste I just like how a Hugo plays music.

And The qualities of a Hugo remain when playing music on other non-naim amplifiers too.

One of there other memorable demos of my life was when my Dealer played Vinyl on an LP12 with all linn amplifiers with a Majik140 speakers… It was magical, but I have no doubts in my mind that the LP12 was responsible for over a huge proportion of what I heard.

Perhaps we have been at cross purposes but I do understand what you are saying here [re. musical enjoyment as opposed to purely more detail etc.].

A classic example [in my case] was when I demoed the SN1/HCDR vs SN2/HCDR. Whilst the latter was superior in ‘Hi-Fi’ terms I found it to be no more enjoyable in musical terms as the inferior set. Slightly less in fact.

I’m completely with you on this. My gateway into ‘proper’ Hi-Fi was hearing an LP12 for the first time when I was in my late teens - first playing into a Linn Intek and later into Isobariks driven by an active LK2/LK280 pre-power. Unforgettable - Thank you Alan Williams - if only I could have heard it through Naim amplification :grin:. The LP12 was indeed responsible for what you (and I) heard but as I think we both agree there is a balance to be sought between source and downstream components even if a quality source always shines through in some beneficial way.

Thanks for the question :slight_smile: It’s connected via RCA coax, USB is not a viable option as it stands as I ionly have the onboard PI USB which is understood to be noisy and… bad. The coax comes from a HIfiBerry DigiPro+ hat, possible improvements upgrades to that are being discussed on another thread.
If I go further down the DIY endpoint route I’ll likely be able to try both USB and coax and let my ears answer the question definitely! Source is probably a good place to be looking in the shorter/medium term for improvements…

As good a source as the raspberry pi based streamers are they are easily outclassed by a machine like ND5XS 2

It’s quite audible to my ears …best to demo yourself if you can

1 Like

An American-English dictionary not an English-English one.

1 Like

Also in the Cambridge and Collins dictionaries, and a common usage in England. (Based on the fact that I heard it used a lot in my work career and have heard it used quite frequently in my personal life.)

2 Likes

Well in that case I stand corrected even though I still dislike the term and its application here.

Game? When was it a game? End? Who knows when that will be and why?

I prefer ‘denouement’ if I’m being prissy - definitely not originally English but captures the same essence…

1 Like

I like it.

I went xs2, SN2, 202/200/HC, 282/200/HC and the jump from SN2 to 202/200 was a pretty big jump in detail.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.