System Automation Cable

I wonder if you’re like my in laws, who also can’t use a touch screen. Their problem is that they hover a finger just above the surface and then jab at it followed by instant withdrawal, like a bird pecking at a stone. Doesn’t matter how many times I explain that the technology is designed to recognise a slight press that lasts just for a moment they can’t grasp it and continue to jab and then wonder why it doesn’t respond. Meanwhile the rest of the world manages, they and ST excepted.

Yes, the same can be said when showing someone how to a backflip on a BMX, some just can’t grasp it, yet many do…in other words, some people are not the same as me.

:roll_eyes:

Regardless of how the technology is designed to be used, some people just can’t get on with it, it doesn’t make them any lesser than you or i.

I can grasp that some people might find a BMX backflip easier than others might, but the idea that using a touchscreen requires anything more than basic motor skills is a bit rich tbh. My in laws had the necessary skills, but chose not to listen or take the information on board.

Yes. The touchscreen does require a bit of a knack to use it properly…i guess this depends on one’s attention span to a certain degree. Anyway i prefer to use a remote control, others don’t. It’s nice to have the choice either way.

I’m one for whom touchscreens don’t always respond well. I’m fine with an iPad or iPhone but I find others really frustrating as they often just don’t respond as well or sometimes even at all. It may well be just me though.

And don’t get me started on touchcreeens in cars. Fine if you have hard buttons as well, but if all you have is a touchscreen…

1 Like

I recall reading somewhere that using (attempting to use) touchscreens were a factor in many car collisions. I’m not surprised.

It’s not the experience of some here, as Chriss Bell or Dark Bear. They observed that the sound degraded with a cheap automation cable.

From 552 preamp thread:
@ChrisBell , 23 days ago :

« This is likely due to the cable you were using for system automation. A cheap cable degraded the sound. I use a custom shielded cable and it made a difference.«

Please read my post again, I said it depends on the preamp, it does seem that those with amps that have an RCA connection are affected by the cable or maybe the connection itself.
The preamps that have a 3.5mm connection, the Nait’s, are not affected as they have a buffer circuit.

Sorry Mike, yes you are right, it’s not the same. My post was related to system automation with preamps.

This may seem like a stupid question but I’m going to ask it any way.

I’ve always been able to change volume, via the app, using system automation with NDS and ND555. I’ve never been able to change inputs via the app, is this possible ?

A second question, not directly related. I’ve read in the manual that the amp can also be set up to automatically auto switch inputs e.g. between my streamer and AV amp but I’ve never managed to set up. I’ve read the paragraph in the manual but find it confusing. Can anyone provide an idiot proof guide to setting this up (pre is a 552) ?

My, what a stupid question!!

It’s actually really easy. You just turn on system automation in the app and tell it what type of preamp you have, and which input the streamer is connected to.

The various preamp inputs will then be added to those on the streamer. Under input settings you turn off those you don’t need, and call those you do need something sensible. You then reorder the inputs so that the screen on your iPhone looks neat and tidy. Like this.

Piece of piss, as they say.

I get used to System Automation automatically selecting the right input when I use my ND player.

Then to use the turntable I have to walk over to the preamp and manually select the right input. Such an effort!

Thanks HH. Years I’ve wanted to be able to do that and now it works perfectly :grinning:

1 Like

Yup, me too. I’ve tried making all the various permutations of inputs, but was never able to get it to work reliably or in any repeatable fashion.

Regarding your first question, there are two options. The first is to try telling the ND555 which input on the preamp is already selected (through the app Home Screen) before changing to another input. That works every time, but is a bit long winded for some.

A second option might be to wait a while and see what comes along in future.

I thought this was already released … maybe not. Thanks for the heads-up

If it’s set up right, you can choose phono from the app or the ND remote.

1 Like

Excellent. I never read any manual but just worked it out. It seems that I can explain it in about three sentences, so maybe Naim should pay me to write something. Even if it was in the FAQs they would be a start.

I use an Audioquest Evergreen (around 40€) which is very well shielded
It replaced an “elcheapo” cable. In all honesty, I didn’t hear any change in sound quality when Ibswapped them

Iver