System Fault - What does this exactly mean

I just got my brand new ND5XS2 a few months ago and I’m very pleased with it.
A few days ago, after turning it ON, the unit started its usual ritual of showing an orange light. I left the room for a while and when I came back, instead of the usual green light, a red light was present and the power switch was blinking. What I did was to turn OFF the unit, and unplugged it for a few minutes. After turning it back ON again, all seems back to normal.
Based on the manual, a red light signifies a “system fault”. What does this exactly mean? Does a “system fault” automatically mean there is a hardware problem that needs to be checked and or repaired? Or can it also mean that there was just a temporary connection glitch that happened in which case a reset / unplugging of the unit can resolve?
As mentioned, the unit seems to be operating normally now. Did the unplugging of the unit actually fix the problem? Or is there a hardware problem that still needs to checked?
Apologies for the long and probably elementary question. I’ve been in the hobby for over 30 years (analog) but it is only now that I am venturing into streaming and something digital.

Is there a reason it’s not left on all the time?

Turned it OFF since there was a thunderstorm the night before.

1 Like

Could it have been installing a firmware update?

No, I updated the firmware to 3.5.1 a few weeks before this incident happened.

Not really sure why a red light appeared. Even though everything seems normal now, I just want to have peace of mind that this “system fault” is not a hardware problem, but just a case of wifi / internet connection issues.

The processor probably just got its knickers in a twist, and the re-boot cleared it.

Yes, that’s what I’m thinking and hoping. I guess there are no hardware issues as the unit has been working flawlessly for the past few days already.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.