System in a adjoining room to the speakers

I have just read a thread from July 2019, about locating speakers away from the Fraim. Sometimes in a different room.

Within the next four months I will be adding a NDX 2 and probably a 555PS DR to my current system. This will necessitate a six level Fraim. Ideally, I would prefer 2x3 levels. However, the new house that I’m moving to, may well not accommodate a 2x3 level Fraim.
I am aware that some people put their system in a different room, leaving just the speakers in the listening room. The only issue for me, is that the NARCOM 5 remote is Infrared, and won’t control my NAC 282.
Is putting the Brains/Brawn in a different room a viable option?

I can’t see why not. If you’re adding a NDX2 then you could setup system automation to give you volume control and input switching on the 282 via the app

2 Likes

I’m sure someone with some personal experience on this will be along in a mo. I’m not a big fan of showcasing my audio setup, so this is exactly what I would like to do in the near future when we move. So I’ll be following your thread for any tips on effecting this. I would love to just have all the equipment somewhere else, with just the speakers in my main living area, and control everything with the Naim App.
I suspect that very long speaker cables are the main ingredient.
Cheers, and best of luck.

2 Likes

Thanks David.

1 Like

Thank you @james_n . It’s been about eight years since I used the Naim app, which was on my old ND5 XS. To be honest, I can’t remember what the app can, and can’t do.

1 Like

My system is in a different room to the speakers.
I control the NDX2 and 282 via the naim app.
No problems whatsoever
Previously I had a CDX2 and 202 but used an infra red extender. Forgot the make but it was a small pyramid shape. Also worked with no problems.
One advantage is that the system sounds better. I guess this is due to the drastically reduced acoustic “feedback”

1 Like

The more you de-couple the source from the LSs the better. You may have a bit of walking to do.

1 Like

Yeah it’s changed quite a bit. There’s quite a step change between the old app I used with my NDX and the new one I use with my NDX2. At least you have a few options depending on how much room is available when you move.

James

1 Like

IR repeater and that’s it sorted.

2 Likes

I had no idea that could be done, great! :+1:

Thanks James :+1:

There’s no info on the Naim website nor in the manuals, but search for"system automation" on the forum and you will find all you need

2 Likes

Thanks @Suedkiez

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.