System matching a Nova into a 500 system

So the ND555 is off to Salisbury for a repair (disappointed in reliability TBH) and I’m down to a Nova, which I’ve fed into my 552/500 combination using RCA’s!

I’d love to report, “wow, gosh, impressed” but thankfully I’m actually happy to report what is perhaps obvious - the 555 is more than a little better than the Nova.

It’s an unfair comparison I know but interesting non the less to see what you get for your money with a 500 series. What’s immediately obvious is that once the volume goes up the Nova has a woolly-ness and levels of harshness that quite quickly become uncomfortable to listen too. Music is there but quite bullish and heavy, not much finesse. I have 2 Novas and do run one of them into a 300DR, that one always impresses me more than it should but when fed into a 500, nah, not for me.

I guess the lesson is what we already know, system matching matters! Fun to play though. Anyone tried an Atom into a Statement, just for sh…s n gigs?

Of course it’s fun!

During an audition session with a Nova at my dealer I noted the D’Agastino Momentun warmed up in the room, I asked the dealer if I could have a listen, he asked what source I would like to use, and was a little surprised when I said, “the Nova”.

The result was amazing.

How did you sort out the cabling between the Nova and the 300DR?

I made my own cable, which if you have a soldering iron is pretty simple. I used an old Chord Chameleon, replaced 2 RCAs with 2 Neutrik XLR plugs, noting the unique Naim power amp wiring and then fitted a locking Prehkeytec DIN at the other end. Parts are about £10 from CPC. Getting 2 thick cables into a DIN is not so simple but once done then the soldering is straight forwards.

2 Likes

I have tried several different style DIY cables with my SU in to a NAP300DR, 4 pin din to 2 x XLR and separate RCA plugs (x2) to 2 x XLR, Naim ‘Permanoid BASEC mains cable’, screened cables (various) and twisted pair, all worked fine.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.