System noise floor lowered. BUT

I think that’s probably true. Also probably dependant on the studios used. These days professional standard gear can be had relatively cheaply so it’s not particularly unusual for up and coming artists to set up their own basic recording facilities - sometimes even in their bedrooms etc. These won’t compete of course with the standards of major commercial studios and the services of experienced professional recording engineers. In my collection the worst examples of noise and the poorest recordings are generally (but not always) with less commercially successful little-known bands.

This is an interesting statement. Many (most?) of us assume that live music will always be more enjoyable than reproduced music on a hi-fi system. But think about it - why should it be necessarily? Live music will always sound more real - no system however good can ever hope to reproduce accurately the scale, dynamics, power, tonality etc. etc. of real music. But does this mean that reproduced music can’t be more enjoyable? I don’t see any reason why not. This potentially raises all manner of fascinating philosophical questions regarding hi-fi systems and such a discussion really merits a dedicated thread.

Many years ago now my wife and I attended a Sarah Brightman concert at the Royal Albert Hall. At the time I had a CDX/XPS, 82/Supercap/ olive 250 and IBL’s. I had listened to her album quite a bit on this system and I recall being somewhat disappointed that sound of the live performance failed to match the excitement and musical engagement produced by my hi-fi. Quite a shock really.

It wasn’t that the live sound was bad. If anything it was a bit much at times, which was what made the recording more appealing. (Apologies for going off topic)

I think I understand what you mean. This is what makes me wonder sometimes if striving for reality in our systems is really appropriate. In a typical domestic listening room reality would be most unpleasant.

Having said that, and as you allude to, live music isn’t always comfortable or cosy to listen to. Stand right next to someone playing a tenor sax or trumpet at full blast and the experience is not comfortable. So we can conclude that a hi-fi system that always sounds comfortable to listen to is not realistic - even though it may be pleasant.

My own system, using large horn speakers, certainly doesn’t sanitise the sound in any way. It can sound uncomfortable sometimes, as in real life. That’s how I personally like it. I don’t want a ‘toned down’ version. I want the real thing in front of me - with all the explosive dynamics and transient slam that this entails. If that means it can sometimes sound a little over-bearing and a little ‘too much’ then so be it. That’s reality. That’s how it really is. Not everyone’s cup of tea I know. Some folk prefer a more relaxing easy-going experience. But that’s not for me. Each to their own.

When I’m having breakfast in the kitchen I sometimes listen to the Muso QB in there. I don’t particularly want to be having breakfast with a live band in the room so the much more scaled-down and more domestically sized rendition from this is perfect in those circumstances.

1 Like

…thinking about what I wrote, I was trying to find a way of expressing it better, so here goes:
This is entirely subjective, and does also apply to vinyl replay, with it’s higher noise floor. It’s like being able to sense, very easily, that different tracks have been recorded on different days. I will not try to defend this statement!

This is the effect that lowering the noise floor has. Subleties that were previously glossed over are now clearly laid bare and assume a significance that greatly adds to the illusion of reality. Enjoy.

Not sure why this is a BUT? It is inevitable that as the system noise reduces you will hear lower level things previously lost in the noise.on the positive side that means the quietest things in the music - and indeed other quiet things in the recording, such as the hiss to which you refer… personally I’d tather hear it all and accept the hiss, than mask the lower lever sounds with sustem hiss/hum etc.

It depends on the music to which one listens. Much non classical music is generated in a studio with all sorts of manipulation, such that sometimes bands may struggle to produce the same sound - or sufficiently similar -live, To me, other than classical music live is more about atmosphere and seeing, not sound quality which all too often is less than ideal. Yes, live is better, but it is often a different experience, A recording only simulates live when it is a live recording (and all too many are compromised acoustically), however playing a good studio recording at realistic levels like live can create an illusion of listening live even though it may actually be quite a different (better) sound!

1 Like

Indeed :slight_smile:

Yes of course. What came as a surprise is the extent to which hiss, whether originating from recording tape or studio electronics, is now snapped into sharp focus to clearly hear as a separate entity in all its glory, emerging from a very silent background. I’ve not experienced this level of intrusiveness from backround noise since my vinyl days, and that was more than 30 years ago. It’s the only neagtive factor I’ve experienced since taking steps to lower my system’s noise floor and yes I would rather have that and all the positive aspects than to go back to how things were before. But it’s still a pain.

I suggest enjoyment of music and quality of music replay are two separate things. With live music there is the atmosphere, often participation, and the spectacle of the performers, and appreciation of the audience, and the atmosphere and vibe of the venue and audience - it’s a two way involved process. This all adds to the enjoyment and experience - the quality of the audio simply often needs be sufficient… whether it be amplified or unplugged/classical with hall reflections and seat positions.

Recorded and replayed music may often be high quality - even a record of a live concert compared to what you heard if you there - but unless you have an association with the recording or perhaps a vivid imagination - it’s a one way process when listening and so from an overall enjoyment perspective - it’s likely to be less - even though from a SQ perspective its likely to be a lot better.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.