System Pics 2020

Proper job there Racket- looks wonderful :grinning:

1 Like

As we are in the middle of doing our living room up, I suggested something like this for my SBL’s. She laughed and pointed the way outside. :frowning:

3 Likes

:smiley: Unlucky that Graeme - it’s the perfect time to do it.

Why not take the Mrs away for the weekend while you’ve secretly arranged to get it done by a builder?

Or something… :wink:

1 Like

Thanks varyat :+1:t5:

@RackKit
When I see the pics of your (heavy) works, you’re sure it the same place?

I can’t see your racks on the pics. I think they probably are on the right of the wall…

Hey, she already approved and helped with installing 3 radials. I will be paying back on that for some time to come. Not sure doing any unapproved modifications to the house would be good for me. At least that’s what she told me :rofl:

5 Likes

Uniti Star
Red Dawn power and speaker cables
Raidho XT-1s. (Upgrade)
JL Audio e110 sub

Steaming Qobuz. Enjoy and stay safe.

24 Likes

Ooo, I bet those Fabers sound fantastic on the end of your 300DR. I’ve yet to hear that model but I love my Olympica 1’s and if I ever looked to upgrade, the GT’s would be high on the list to home demo!

1 Like

Pit,

I heard it, I listened to it it again, I decided to do myself a pre-retirement present and bought it. So far, I am happy. I listen to much more music than I used to but the amp from ‘Amp Master Pass’ is not ‘forgiving’ or ‘slow’. It is rich, competent, natural, immediate, dynamic but you aren’t aware of all this while listening to music. I sometimes think it is not loud enough, then I realize that I have to turn the volume down a bit for comfortable conversation. With Naim, I used to turn down volume a bit for comfortable listening. Two very different things, if you catch what I mean.

That said, I also think that the SN3 is by far the best SN of the series; anyway, if I had bought the Heresy speakers first and had been still bound to Naim, I’d have bought an Atom for sure.

Best
Max

1 Like

Cool!

1 Like

Thank god good manners are back.

Sorry Haim, do how do you mean ‘pounds’? GBP or weight?

Hi Rackkit,

Did you do a writeup on the differences that the solid floor under the SL2s made …you’ve got me thinking!

Cheers,

M

Hi M. I couldn’t say what the differences were as I bought SL2s while doing the renovations and the system was all packed away. I had Allaes at the time though but jumped on the SL2s when they came up.

To get it done is probably only a days work for a builder so well worth giving it a go.

1 Like

Probably either is quite apropos…

Max,

You know darn well that I am a weight watcher…

Thank a lot Massimo…i perfectly understand the feeling you describe and probably i shared it in my 845 listening sessions.
I was curious about your sn3 opinion because i read your naim signature sound description in afmerate site and i totally share that feeling.
I didn t heard sn3 so far but an old sn2 owner told me: no audible difference in Line level sources. I remained scared considering the totally different amp stage.
Can you spend few words in differences you cought?
Thanks a lot
Pit

Wonderful listening room and setup RackKit :slight_smile: :+1:

1 Like

Hi Alex, Something wich is not extreemly expensive, but made a very very impressive upgrade to my overall system, is disconnecting the system from the overall power to a separate power group. So a separate group for audio from fuse box to the wall outlet. And bring special audio cable to the wall outlet.
You can play with fuses, wich are most preferable for your system. All together a little investment and a few hours of work. At least, if your home has a crawl space to bring the cable from fuse box to wall outlet. And if you have an open group left in your fuse box.
Once you have done this, you see, how much effect the totaal power on audio has. It is not voodoo. I think that from the 100% of people, who did this, 99,99 % will say it is a very big step in a better, cleaner sound in their system.
So maybe something to try, or to consider in the future

3 Likes

No photos (unless one of the kitties with a bit of speaker in the background). But:

Sources: Oppo BDP93 Blu-ray player, Humax 1100 Satellite Receiver, Chromecast Video wireless dongle and occasionally one of the girls’ consoles (Xbox, or, latterly, Nintendo Switch - impressive indeed was the sight of four millennials (daughters + partners) playing some sort of racing game on a 50” Pioneer screen in full surround! Both Humax & Oppo are wired Ethernet, whereas the Chromecast is wireless.

The HMDI video streams all feed a Meridian 421 switcher then off to the 19 year old Pioneer plasma - screen is still brilliant with no dead pixels, even though the analogue tuner is useless!

The various audio streams go directly to a Meridian 562V+518+565Z3 stack (some optical-digital SP/DIF converters are needed). The speakers are then four DSP5000, DSP5000HC (centre) and D1500 (sub).

So everything Meridian is in the digital domain, and the Communication System goes to all units including the HDMI Switcher, which means that the video & audio streams switch together…
Sound is excellent, but setting up 9 “programmable” units is a right PITA!

I’ve just acquired a 568.2mm that will replace the 518+565Z3, and maybe the 562V as well. I’ll set it up over the next few days, I also want to investigate Meridian’s 621 “hdmi switcher and audio stream extracter”, which should simplify the wiring and would certainly get rid of the 562V.

For sure it’s all “vintage” kit but then so are me & SWMBO (36 years anniversary this week) , the Naim system is cough mostly cough Olive, and the Briks system is “LK vintage”.

But they all do sound exceedingly fine, and I do not feel the need to indulge in willy-waving.

2 Likes