System Pics 2020

Thanks for the feedback.

1 Like

Wow! Thanks Dave!!
keep safe and enjoy
ken

Have not posted a pic in some time. The main system recently got the 282/250 upgrade, so the SN2 has traveled down to the office. It is now an embarrassment of choices between amplifiers and DACs driving ProAc Tablette 10 Signatures in near field.

SN2 and NAIT 1
BorderPatrol and Benchmark 2 DACs

(and an old Sony blu-ray acting as a transport into the Benchmark)

The SN2 + BorderPatrol combo has been winning the day of late, but it breaks my heart to think of letting the recently serviced NAIT go (so am in no hurry).

Either way, it is working very well during this WFH era.

39 Likes

Those stands look cool - what are they?

Also, that seems a rather relaxing view out the window there.

They are from IsoAcoustics. They do a pretty good job isolating the speakers from the table, and I like that they come with different length ‘rods’ so you get a little control over angle. Only when volume is quite loud and the bass comes in heavy can I feel vibrations from the speakers as I type… but that usually means I’m listening so loud that I’m not productive :wink:

And yes, very fortunate to live in Northern California and have good weather and a backyard full of a pond, a hot tub, and a creek running through.

Atom and Kef LS50
Sounds marvellous together

15 Likes

Hi Folks. Finally managed to get my dedicated listening room finished and have in the end retained my view to the garden also whilst listening. Nothing is perfect, but I have extracted as much as I can from my 20 sqm. room. ATB Peter

71 Likes

Energy 22 Pro monitors.

The room looks great. I also have Fact 12s and love them. How did you work out your room treatments as My room has issues when I play music above a 10 on the dial?

You did show theAtom with Harbeths, have you reverted them back to the main system?

Your listening room is outstanding which is why I remembered it ( I have the same Harbeths)

Think the KEFs and Atom look a good match

1 Like

Upped my headphone game. Focal Utopia+Feliks Audio Echo tube amp.

31 Likes

Impressive. :+1:

Thank you mfin99. Answering your question could end up like ‘ War and peace’ ( well literally), so best thing is to read through Thomas’ thread ‘The listening room reality’. If it is any consolation, my room also emplodes somewhat at that listening level on some recordings. ATB Peter

Go on, Chris, tell us how they’re sounding. Lots of flowery obscure adjectives, please.

Hi. Which Sony DVD player is this? My brother’s Sony CDP is dying but he also has a BDP-S480 Blueray player (it looks similar to yours) and we are wondering if an off-board DAC will upgrade the sound via the coaxial out. What is your experience? The Rega Dac is currently favourite because of its multiple connections and good reviews/feedback + it is available used at sensible money.

Good eye, it’s a BDP-S470. I run its optical out cable to the Benchmark, and that DAC is much better than the on-board on the Sony. Surprisingly, the on-board DAC is better than I’d have figured for a normal Blu-Ray player, but the Benchmark still easily outperforms it.

I would imagine the Rega DAC would still outperform the on-board as well.

Always changing, the Harbeth are back in my listening room. The Kefs work good in the lounge on the Atom. Very good in fact

1 Like

The Utopia’s make my heart throb, like a thousand wild horses thundering across the untamed Colorado plains.

Flowery?

2 Likes

@kshekar

I use the Sony BDP S370 as a CD player ( standby ) and it’s remarkable.

Apologies for the terrible close up shot. My new Quad Elite QSP power amp temporarily controlled by the small but mighty Tisbury passive preamp, I’m going to go for another passive preamplifier next either a Khozmo from Poland or a custom build from BTE Designs.

I’m very impressed with the Quad’s super smooth Class A so far it’s the first amp I’ve owned that will drive my Dyns at full volume without any distortion at all.
It’s pointless and difficult to compare it with the Naim amps I’ve owned without them being here too but it is 100% on the same level.

The little Tisbury passive is an exceptional preamp for the price it does nothing except control the Quad’s volume and switch sources and so it doesn’t require any power whatsover, it adds nothing and takes nothing away. It’s a fantastic gateway into the world of passive preamps and has impressed me enough to make want to try something further up the food chain that is made from higher quality components of those that are in my price range as I stated above the Khozmo designed and built by a guy in Poland looks very interesting as does one custom built by Anthony at BTE Designs.

As you know when it comes to matching pre and power amps impedance is very important this is as especially true of passives. Which is why if you have a power amp like the Quad with a low impedance input you need a pre with a very low impedance output so having one either tailored or built especially for the Quad is ideal.

11 Likes