System Pics 2020

Well you may have to empty your draws if you keep going.

2 Likes

What’s that, a NAP100!? :joy:

1 Like

Funnily enough, I had a NAP100 and traded it in for the SN2. Thinking of non-Naim power amp, but I think the sub does what is needed for this set up.

Different rooms and systems, so a little difficult to compare. But the Storm with the Hawks in the smaller media room adds a lot more than I was expecting. I thought it would be more bass and control of the bottom end, but it’s doing much more - giving significantly more solid presentation through the full harmonic range and a wider soundstage - both of which I wasn’t expecting, so well chuffed. It seems that giving more control on the lower end impacts on the full dynamics of the system.

The Forest Signatures are too big for the media room and are in the lounge, They are very capable at the lower end - it will be fun to try the Storm there when Mrs Mike is out (she had already said - no sub in our lounge!).

I’m not sure that answers your question - it’s the same old room, system, speaker matching dilemma, but my sense is that adding a sub can significantly improve a system without a main box change, so well worth considering.

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply @Mike_S

In the future I will consider upgrading my Sky Towers therefore I already have this big dilemma. I might consider your same sub or get the Forests.

I mainly listen to music, therefore I wonder if a sub is really worth it. However they told me that the Storm is pretty musical, would you agree?
I like a powerful bass, but I surely prefer control and precision (otherwise I wouldn’t have bought Totem speakers in the first place, I guess). I enjoy an articulate bass rather than a loud one.

Do you think that your Forest Signatures go deep down as much as the Storm? Did you notice any drawbacks in the sound presentation? What about the sub positioning?

By the way I will need to experience the Storm sooner or later!

1 Like

I’ll start a thread for us to discuss them :sunglasses:

1 Like

Latest update is a second 555 psu for the ND555. I might try swapping the ND555 with the 552 preamp in time, though i tried before and could not tell the difference. Uniti Core which was on stack 2 or brawn, now moved elsewhere in the room connected to a HP pro 408 switch…and works just fine from there.

36 Likes

Great setup @Gazza. :+1:

1 Like

Excellent idea, there should be a thread dedicated to Totem speakers :grinning:

1 Like

I like your style, IMO HiFi should be able to fit in to your living space.

1 Like

Nice one, @Gazza!

1 Like

Reassuring to see your NARCOM gets it’s own Fraim level :slight_smile:

What’s next?

2 Likes

I think thats it for a while…we would like to move in the next couple of years. If so, new house, would be a potential speaker upgrade.

1 Like

Ahh now you’re talking. I’m having the same issue, have an option on some tempting speakers but in the process of selling/buying so now don’t want to spec to the current room and kick myself for a poor match.
You could always put your NARCOM on an IsoAcoustics isolator puck…

1 Like

I have some spare audio serenity pucks i could dig out.

An appropriate conclusion to your latest update and this thread perhaps?

1 Like

I am interested in knowing how you have your subwoofer set up with the Nova. Are you running the main speakers full range or does the Nova have a frequency filter to prevent the lowest frequencies going to the main speakers? I have three systems that run subwoofers around the house: two of those have have the main speakers running full range and the sub set to come in at a ‘blending’ point. One system has the crossover points set in the AV amp for both the main speakers and the sub. I find the latter more effective with speakers that possess limited bass capability but the former for more ‘full range’ speakers. In all the above cases, and the key caveat being how well positioned/setup/integrated the sub is, the subwoofers seem to benefit more than just the bass frequencies - stage/sounds depth, refinement and solidity all seem to improve.

1 Like

Congratulations on a great well thought out system @Gazza. Hope the 2nd 555PS meets your expectations. It’s where I would like to be at some point in the future.
How do you have the 4 PSs stacked?

The Nova has a low frequency RCA sub output, which leaves the speakers running full range. On the Storm there is a cross-over dial that you can adjust to suit your set up - I have mine at 60Hz at the moment. You can run the speakers from the Nova to the Storm and then output from there to the speakers, but this was too much of a faff with my spare A5 cables which are to stiff and where the wrong orientation with the pins.

Yes, I was expecting more bass, but the whole dynamics is way better, a lot more scale and solidity with a much better sound stage - a pleasant surprise.

1 Like

Will you be able to get the foot fixed OK, Dunc ? :astonished: