System Pics 2020

Hi Matt, they are the ISO Acoustics Gaia III. The floor is a raised wooden one and booms a lot, the feet totally removed this. The effect reduces the soundstage somewhat but in a good way as its much more controlled, refined and clean, less “rock concert by the speaker cabs”. Cheers, Phil

Thanks @Gazza, we consider ourselves very lucky to have great music, kit to play it on and live in a beautiful part of the world… even if the weather is a bit iffy sometimes

1 Like

Shelf was easy… it was making wall flat behind it :exploding_head:, ended up having to make a frame work of 2 sides and base, with packing to get it flat. screwed a front on, sealed around the frame and filled with a sloppy mortar mix. Then filled top with wood filler, sanded and painted satin black.

1 Like

I’ve built my current system for less than the price I paid for my previous Dynaudio Contour 30. Truth told I’m happier with this system than my previous system. Not that it sounds better but happier with current system.

1 Like

And that is what matters.

It’s just a bit of thread deviation, to get it back on track and keep everyone happy.

15 Likes

I’m not sure what happened there, but it seems a number of posts that should have been on the sunrise/sunset thread were posted in the system pics thread. Unfortunately I tried moving them but the forum software choked (probably the files too big), gave an error, and so they had to be deleted instead. So, my apologies to anybody whose post was deleted, however, please try to ensure you post in the correct thread in future. Thanks.

1 Like

Loving the toes there Pete!

2 Likes

I think it was just one of those cases of a thread that drifted off topic, then someone opened a sunsets thread to relieve this one. I was going to delete a couple of mine, but you’ve saved me the hassle.

Friday afternoon fun

Retrieved from the barn, dusted off and now playing happily on French pop fm station

Nostalgia

Ain’t what it used to be.

21 Likes

A Pioneer SX-626 that my friend’s older brother had bought (ca 1972-ish) was my first exposure to “real” hi-fi, and I became enamored of the whole thing.

I actually wish I could get one of those vintage receivers for my bedroom system - there was something very lush about the sound in those days (especially with the “Loudness” button pushed) - not necessarily very accurate, but fun and definitely nostalgic. But when I have looked, the prices for reconditioned units are rather dear.

4 Likes

Yes, the reconditioning costs are high. This one sounds good but the rotary pots are scratchy. Fine once set, but a few clicks and crackles while moving them.

Off the wall question here - do you have a relative who was something to do with parliamentary pomp and circumstance and heraldry? (I knew a chap called Spurrier many years ago, and it’s not a common name).

I only let my French wife play her music upstairs and out of earshot…

…if I was to place a bet it would be directed at the former University of South Carolina football coach ‘Steve Spurrier.’ …just hazzading a guess

3 Likes

Sorry, I know your pic was posted about 6 months ago, but I just wanted to say that that is a beautiful looking system. Until I saw this I never much cared for the idea of black uprights for the Fraim racks, but I’d be willing to revise my opinion after seeing this. Very nice indeed.

More photos please?

27 Likes

I was under that same assumption, kayaker, especially inasmuch as SS lives in SC. And he’s right, Spurrier does suck, especially as pertains to being a human being. Never liked him at Florida, and not at SC either. (And boy did he get spanked in his brief NFL tenure too.)

3 Likes

lol. No. Spurrier Sucks is my take on the then University of South Carolina football head coach Steve Spurrier. Name could/should now be Muschamp Sucks. I’m a Clemson University gentleman and U of SC is the rival school. Gentleman used very loosely. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

Thanks JonR. I’m assuming you’re the same JonR of the old forum(s). If so, greetings and double thanks for old times sake.

I bought a base and four levels of Fraim second hand from a friend many years ago. It came with silver uprights which I didn’t fancy, so threw them in a box and replaced them with black. Kept the theme when I bought more later.