System Pics 2020

Great setup @Gazza. :+1:

1 Like

Excellent idea, there should be a thread dedicated to Totem speakers :grinning:

1 Like

I like your style, IMO HiFi should be able to fit in to your living space.

1 Like

Nice one, @Gazza!

1 Like

Reassuring to see your NARCOM gets itā€™s own Fraim level :slight_smile:

Whatā€™s next?

2 Likes

I think thats it for a whileā€¦we would like to move in the next couple of years. If so, new house, would be a potential speaker upgrade.

1 Like

Ahh now youā€™re talking. Iā€™m having the same issue, have an option on some tempting speakers but in the process of selling/buying so now donā€™t want to spec to the current room and kick myself for a poor match.
You could always put your NARCOM on an IsoAcoustics isolator puckā€¦

1 Like

I have some spare audio serenity pucks i could dig out.

An appropriate conclusion to your latest update and this thread perhaps?

1 Like

I am interested in knowing how you have your subwoofer set up with the Nova. Are you running the main speakers full range or does the Nova have a frequency filter to prevent the lowest frequencies going to the main speakers? I have three systems that run subwoofers around the house: two of those have have the main speakers running full range and the sub set to come in at a ā€˜blendingā€™ point. One system has the crossover points set in the AV amp for both the main speakers and the sub. I find the latter more effective with speakers that possess limited bass capability but the former for more ā€˜full rangeā€™ speakers. In all the above cases, and the key caveat being how well positioned/setup/integrated the sub is, the subwoofers seem to benefit more than just the bass frequencies - stage/sounds depth, refinement and solidity all seem to improve.

1 Like

Congratulations on a great well thought out system @Gazza. Hope the 2nd 555PS meets your expectations. Itā€™s where I would like to be at some point in the future.
How do you have the 4 PSs stacked?

The Nova has a low frequency RCA sub output, which leaves the speakers running full range. On the Storm there is a cross-over dial that you can adjust to suit your set up - I have mine at 60Hz at the moment. You can run the speakers from the Nova to the Storm and then output from there to the speakers, but this was too much of a faff with my spare A5 cables which are to stiff and where the wrong orientation with the pins.

Yes, I was expecting more bass, but the whole dynamics is way better, a lot more scale and solidity with a much better sound stage - a pleasant surprise.

1 Like

Will you be able to get the foot fixed OK, Dunc ? :astonished:

Mike ā€¦ That seems like a gratuitous addition of bass to me ā€¦ the Hawks I have/had needed no help in that department ā€¦ must sound wonderful ā€¦ First track off the John Martyn album ā€œChurch with one Bellā€ would be a cracker on that system.

1 Like

I think you will find that the Nova output is full range, and itā€™s the sub that applies a low pass filter (user adjustable) to allow it to handle just the low frequency signal. I am intrigued by your Totem sub though. If the signal going to your main speakers is routed via the sub, I presume that it is using a crossover that sends the low frequencies to the sub, and only the higher frequencies to the main speakers. This seems to me like a very sensible way to do things, compared to the usual way, where the sub gets the low frequency signal, but the main speakers still get a full range signal, so that they do not benefit from being relieved of the low frequencies that are best handled by the sub. You can buy a crossover that will split the signal like this, but the only one Iā€™m aware of is really expensive.

Mine are on the Nova, you have a 300? A bit of difference! Iā€™ll try that track you mention - cheers.

Yes, the sub has a cross - over to take a full signal from the speaker cables from the Nova and then send the signal on to the speakers. Though Iā€™m using the RCA at the moment - I have a spare pair of NAC A5, but the banana plus are wrongly orientated to fit easily as they use the square plug bracket with plug ends 90Ā° to the wire, and itā€™s really stiff to!

Time to man up, Mike, real Naim owners just bend their NACA5 into submission :muscle:
What Iā€™m really interested in is whether the sub passes on the full range signal to the main speakers, or if it filters out the LF signal and only sends the rest to the mains.

1 Like

The Hawks came alive with the 250DR, after the NAP 200 ā€¦ the 300 made them sit up and really take notice ā€¦ at each level they responded superbly. A remarkable speaker.

1 Like

Isnā€™t that really an observation of the amps performance rather than the speakers? I think you could take any speakers that only ā€œneedā€ a 200, and find that they give you more with a 250, and (subjectively) more again with a 300.