System Pics 2020

I have the very same set up: UQ2 and iotas in my piano room. I have driven the iotas with a 100 watt per channel Primare. The UQ2 is pretty effective though the volume is always 55 plus to get those cones moving. What speaker stands are you using please?

Our little corner…

24 Likes

Recently added the Townshend Podiums to the MB2se, a rather large positive improvement. Even more surprising because it was sounding excellent before.

30 Likes

And today having a play with my newly rewired Hadcock 228/Technics 1210 and A B testing against my Rega.

10 Likes

Dear Mr Halibut,
I’m new here, posted twice, answered twice… by you.
Keep your pecker up old chap :+1:
:infinity:

1 Like

Hi Folkman, as we have speakers of somewhat the same ilks, any chance of describing the difference with Townsend Podiums under the MBs please? ATB Peter

Peter,
Health Alert!!!

Whatever you do, don’t audition a pair of MB2SE.
They may be made by PMC, as are the FACT 12, but they are not the same speaker. Not at all.

You may like the MB2SE far too much…

Just sayin’ as all…

Best regards, BF

A wind up as always Bluesfan :rofl: . I must admit to having a conversation about the MB2s with PMCs lovely rep. and having been to my place twice, he suggested that they would overpower my medium sized room… and bugger that! ATB Peter

You got me Peter :grin::+1:
I’m told that you wouldn’t like the IB2 either.

In the meantime, enjoy your Fact 12s!

Best regards, BF

Bluesfan, I was recently told also that the Fact12s are the domesticated version of the pro based IB2s and a change in that direction wouldn’t actually yield anything. I haven’t really got an itch, but keeping an open mind is never a bad thing… only potentially expensive! :face_with_hand_over_mouth:Hey ho Peter

2 Likes

Hi Peter. As i see you have treated your room as well , the best way i can describe the difference with the Podiums is you get more of the same type of improvement as when you treat a room.

Which if you think about it makes sense , as you are isolating the speakers from interacting with the room [floor].

Honestly , i found whatever sound you had before , you get after , but improved in every area. Bass is even more solid , stops and starts cleanly with great tonal colour. It does seem slightly more extended but that may be down to it hitting harder.
Dynamics are better.
More open better defined soundstage. This was one concern i had before using them. I prefer a more upfront sound and was worried about getting a more distant sound. But i still get the same upfront sound but with greater depth and width.

Detail is improved/easier to hear. The interaction between band members is more obvious , even a solo voice is just so natural.

I ummed and ahhed for a year before getting them , but you really do need to hear what they can do. I didn’t epect they would be as good as they are.

You can buy direct from Townshend , at a much lower price than advertised.

How big is your room , mine is 21ft x 15ft. Are you sure you coundn’t fit MB2se in :wink:.

Happy to see another CDS3/XPS2 based system around. Our similarly spec’d LP12 LP12 beats it, but my own CDS3/XPS2 still gets lots of airtime here

Claude

1 Like

Two miniature schnauzers. We’re considering another to keep out MS, Sprocket, company

Hi Folkman,
Thank you very much for your in depth description of the benefits of the Podiums. Also I seem to recall that they won a hifi- excellence accreditation for their contributions to a sonic improvement.
The more I think about it, I feel that the MB2s might be a bit of a tall order for my room, which is 20x12 feet ie smaller than yours. I am like you firing the long way and sat about 11 feet from front baffles of the Facts. I was talking to TB ( PMCs rep) and helpful and quietly spoken ( you listen when he speaks and obviously hugely experienced) he suggested that midrange phase problems could arise, if the speakers are expected to work to close to each other, and interestingly I notice yours are quite far apart. I would simply run out of space to my side walls also considering the sheer width of the MB2s. They have that bad-ass Wembley Stadium concert look, which I really love, but I have to take TBs word for it.
On a different note my room is now very much set up for the Fact 12s ( bass issues/ reflections sorted) and I would hate to have to start again. I am very happy with the Facts in my room, but maybe I’m simply struggling with the fact, that I have reached my end game :thinking:
The Townsend Podiums actually seems really good value according to what you are describing as for benefits and I shall see if it possible to borrow a pair before purchasing.
Our sonic room issues are funny enough not dissimilar having just put your room dimensions into Amroc room mode calculator, but your gain for setting the speakers up well lies in the increased width :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
On a second different note, didn’t you use to have a Naim 500 back in the old days?
Thanks again and enjoy Peter

1 Like

I have always felt i should give these a listen…when we move in a few years.

6 Likes

Hi how would you rate the cd555 against the cds3.?

These two are brothers, they know how to “work it” and get what they want. Two for company works but I’d suggest different ages to give you time to train them up rather than the other way around. :wink:

1 Like

Blimey, I see what HH means about thread drift on System Pics. No wonder he is giving up!

2 Likes

Totally.

1 Like