System Pics 2020

Lovely system, defo not great having stuff on the preamp. Ideally need a 2nd stack depending on space. Never easy!

Hi DiggyGun,
Ooh, a system for a passionate music lover!
Are you using a Simrak support for your electronics?

Best regards, BF

Just got my first Naim speakers, a mint pair of SL2s in cherry finish. Iā€™ve had them on the system for just over a day and Iā€™ve noticed a big improvement over my ATC 19s - bigger sound stage, just more of everything. Sounding great in passive mode with 552DR/300DR. I just need to source some covers.

27 Likes

Congrats @bongoman!

Were those the ones for sale in Nottingham on EBay recently?

TomTom supply excellent SL2 grills if you are interested in getting some.

2 Likes

My dealer just got a set of covers from Tomtom audio who have them made for them. They opened the package while i was there, not cheapā€¦but they were just perfect, treat yourself

4 Likes

They were indeed.

Thanks for the tip @NorfolkT @Gazza - Iā€™ll get in touch with Tom Tom :+1:t3:

Iā€™m also curious about the 30.2. I have the SHL5 Plus today but a bit too big for my room I think. Could you elaborate more about the main differences between them?

Also, what amp do use for them?

Tomtom audio is where I sourced mine from as replacements for the originals which started to perish. Not cheap but then neither are SL2s which you canā€™t get replacements for!

1 Like

Very nice Bongoman. Those SL2s will look great once you get the grills sorted for them.

6 Likes

Very nice. If those 20ā€™s are anything like the 50ā€™s then that should sound great. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I remember a workman coming round and dropping his spanner on top of the my then Allaes, putting a small dent into the top enclosure. Couldnā€™t believe that a: there were plenty of other surfaces to put it down and b: the Allaes have a curved top so it was likely to fall off any way. What a d***! :rage:

I found someone else after that.

The Naim amplification Iā€™ve had at different periods is as follows. Naim unitiquteBT, 5i, 82/SUPERCAP, Nap 300.
252 SUPERCAP, 250.2,250DR.
552DR, NAP 135s.

I have mixed some of the speakers with the amplifiers to understand the differences in amplification and speakers.

5+ has a moderately larger scale than 30.2. It has deeper bass. But my only problem with the 5+ was driver integration (even with the grilles on). The 30.2 blends the sound together better. IMO.

The 30.2 is my preferred speaker for sure between the two. Itā€™s got more speed/attack and is cleaner in the bass for sure. The 5+ has more treble extension. 30.2 treble is smooth, never fatiguing. I feel the bass could have been more in quantity for the size of the speaker but perhaps that may have taken a little away from the magic of this speaker. And that is the midrange. If PRAT is what you love (like me) then this is great speaker for this purpose. It does extremely well with Naim amplification. I will also add, this speakers needs power to perform at its very best. Even more than 5+. Class A/B or even A if you donā€™t mind the electricity bill.

I will say balance your system out. If you find you need more bass, or a more open sound, then the 5+ may suit your setup more than 30.2.

What a d*** indeed. I so hate it when people fail to show respect for other peopleā€™s property.

3 Likes

What finish is that on the Kudos?

Hi Svetty. Itā€™s Oak and was done as a special finish

I think I might have spotted them at a certain dealer nr Leicester?

I would be interested in getting some Kudos speakers but only in oak (or Maple) - the standard finishes wouldnā€™t work in our room.

My girlfriendā€™s little Sony.

6 Likes

In the middle of a house move, a serious Naim box count!

21 Likes

You donā€™t fear to be robbed FC? The glass door is light.

Keep that door well locked at all timesā€¦ :wink:

3 Likes