System Pics 2021

Hi @Garydod That is a very different set up to any other I have seen featured here, with units from several naim ranges and everything on shelves. Can you tell us a bit about how you put it together?

Geoff, it was initially all bought about 1998 and was a complete olive system. The shelves are bolted onto the wall and every unit is sat on granite. The mains is a totally separate system to the house with its own consumer unit, and three separate ring mains, with a separate earth to a spike in the garden. So, the source, pre amp and power amp all have their own ring main.
Its only when I retired did I change the pre amp from a 102, to the 282 and added the streamer. The power amp is on loan, whilst my original 250 is away for service, but all in all I am very happy with the sound. I know it looks a little hitch pot has, but I love it.

5 Likes

Absolutely beautiful. Bravo!

Do you follow the Brain side / Brawn side philosophy here? ā€¦are to tell with the anonymous boxes!

Iā€™m guessing itā€™s CD555PS, 500PS and 552 PS on the right stack. With the Radikal at the bottom (rightly on Brawn side in my view - although people seem less concerned) and the LP12 up topā€¦ Thatā€™s the tricky one I guess - because I can see you need two ā€œtop slotsā€ as the CD555 is obviously a top loader.

But having a Urika three inches above a Naim Power Supply is a tough call.

I canā€™t see how you could do it any other way though :man_shrugging:

7 Likes

My latest upgrade, which is stunning, is invisible.

Also, freeā€¦ :wink:

1 Like

Try this. It can be angled. Original BTC.

4 Likes

Nice to see another Orbe on here :+1:

2 Likes

Great picture :rofl:

Cool room

Hi HH,
I am amazed you decided to ditch the SL2ā€™s which having followed your messages on here you have always said how great they were. Did they really intrude after all the years you had them?
How do your new proacs compare sound wise|?

3 Likes

Absolutely beautiful. Bravo!

Do you follow the Brain side / Brawn side philosophy here? ā€¦are to tell with the anonymous boxes!

Iā€™m guessing itā€™s CD555PS, 500PS and 552 PS on the right stack. With the Radikal at the bottom (rightly on Brawn side in my view - although people seem less concerned) and the LP12 up topā€¦ Thatā€™s the tricky one I guess - because I can see you need two ā€œtop slotsā€ as the CD555 is obviously a top loader.

But having a Urika three inches above a Naim Power Supply is a tough call.

I canā€™t see how you could do it any other way though :man_shrugging:
[/quote]

Hi and thanks Matt. :pray:t5:

Sorry for the late reply, not long back from work.

The stacking order is:

Brain side (Left)

CD555
Space
Space
Base

Brawn Side (Right)
LP12
555DR PSU
552DR PSU
500DR PSU
Radikal
Basse

I hadnā€™t even thought about the Urika being just above the 555 PSU but itā€™s either the LP12 or CD555 thatā€™s got to go there but I went for this arrangement as it means the CDP is further away from itā€™s PSU, going with the idea that it might be affected more than the TT. Well that was my theory until you mentioned the Urika! :smiley:

Iā€™ve heard the 552 likes free space around it so thereā€™s a spare shelf above it and the remaining spare shelf was to keep the 500 and itā€™s Burndy cables off the floor. They still touch though so Iā€™m using pieces of foam pipe insulation around the Burndys.

Iā€™m open to other stacking arrangements though.

Cheers, Rack.

1 Like

Hi. I lost the hearing in my left ear last year and it made me question how much hifi I actually needed. I also wanted the new streaming platform and at the same time I wanted to simplify things. I decided to really focus on source first and put my money where my mouth is. Iā€™ve always been intrigued by the Tablette 10 since seeing them in Graeme Hā€™s system a couple of years ago and long felt that the system of NDS, SN2 and speakers owned by Bart seemed like a great setup.

My dealer lent me the NDX2 and SN3 to try and ProAc very kindly lent me their own dem pair of Tabs. Once the Tabs were in place, with the SL2s moved out of the room, everything looked so much better, and sounded so good, that the decision was easily made. It helped that the SL2s were able to go to my friend David Hendon, as they are very lovely and I was very attached to them.

The NDX2/555DR is a big step up over the 272/555 and the SN3 is a superb amplifier, when matched with suitable speakers.

The system now is more engaging and communicative than what went before and has far exceeded my expectations. Itā€™s a doddle to set up and doesnā€™t dominate the room, which isnā€™t large at all.

Reading your profile reminded me of the sad loss of your wife. A year on, I hope the pain is starting to heal and that as lockdown lifts you can look forward to happier times ahead.

All the best.

13 Likes

When my dealer delivered my LP12, he wanted my CDP above the brawn items rather than the LP12. Reasoning was something along the lines of, the CDP is putting out 2V signal which is more robust than the mV signal from the LP12 and less likely to be affected. I donā€™t know much about this stuff so went along with it. Both sources seem happy enough.

1 Like

Iā€™d get rid of that CD555 and stick a Revox B77 in its place. Just kidding and as usual amazing photos.
But do considerā€¦:sunglasses:

1 Like

Thankyou Nigel for your comments yes a difficult anniversary.
Regards
Nigel

8 Likes

Dear granted
Having just read hh post back to yourself I see you had the unfortunate loss off your wife Iā€™m very sorry
If it helps any in 2003 I too lost my wife off many years and the pain as Iā€™m sure you know off does get better in time, you never ever ever forget but as time goes on it does get better
Keep safe and thoughts with you

8 Likes

Maybe you could get a wall shelf for the LP12 and put it above the CD555? Amazing picture as always btw.

Thanks Archie a kind thought and post. Yes 51 years married does leave a hole but as you say
it will get better. Please accept my condolences for your loss back in 2003.
Regards
nigel

4 Likes

Nigel
I never thought it would happen or I would have the feelings or guts but it took years and I did move on and re married, but still have fond memories and now new memories
Keep safe Nigel and remember there are people out there who will listen and can help donā€™t suffer alone

Hi, I lost my wife 28 years agoā€¦ I totally get the significance of the year anniversary. Please do what ever is right for youā€¦ Speaking as a Psychotherapist, thatā€™s critical.

6 Likes

:crazy_face:

:smiley:

1 Like