System power off/on

feeling_zen’s meter would come in handy, but I don’t think that a PS without consumers drawing power uses much.

(anyway, I don’t care much about it for reasons discussed in the older thread that was linked above. I only use the NDX2 standby because otherwise the display stays on for 12 hours if the replay is just paused before the album/playlist ends)

1 Like

Indeed but It’s still going to draw more power than a little standby SMPS though. I suppose if you’ve added a 555PS, power consumption isn’t a worry.

PS - I rarely remember to switch mine into standby :flushed:

1 Like

Mine is set to do it automatically. I was a bit dubious as to how well it would work, but it’s been rock solid. Open the app, choose the NDX2 and with a little click it’s awake and ready to go.

Thanks Nigel. I’ll take a look when I’m back home tomorrow and power everything back up again. My Devialet amp goes into standby after an hour of no use so I should really do the same with the NDX2. Roon allows remote power up, so it should behave in the same way as the Naim app.

Would I be right in saying that an electrical consumer on standby is converting electricity into heat, so contributing something to heating the house, so reducing the requirement for heating in a small way? Or have I got this wrong. Of course I’m not suggesting you heat your house with Naim amps and streamers!

This kind of reminds me of an advert “please don’t try this at home…”. I have images of some poor guy who spent his entire fortune on a statement system huddled around the amps trying to keep warm because he has not got the money left to switch on the heating

2 Likes

Guys… I do think this is quite a funny topic… Our systems cost thousands and thousands of pounds (mention how much they cost to a non audio file and they always nearly faint! To be honest I’m not fussed about the electricity bill as I can’t see it being more than 3 or 4 cups of tea a day…

With global warming everyone should be fussed, whether they can easily afford the bill or not.

1 Like

Lol! I was going to mention the environmental impact…
I doubt Greta T would endorse Naim :joy:

1 Like

I can’t easily afford the bills… but I save to pay them. It just that sometimes you have to accept that you need to pay for your pleasures!

And I’m not switching mine off unless I move house…
(Or Greta pops round)

1 Like

From my calculation it works out to 39 cups of tea a day in standby

As you can’t loose energy, then yes you would get this back in heat. My system uses about 60Watts in idle, and I’m sure we can all remember the heat that came off an old 60Watt tungsten bulb

1 Like

Hang on!!
39 boils of the kettle??

Really??

I m genuinely shocked!!

Previous posts retracted!!

On my test, it worked out as 2.1pence for 2 cups of boiling water. Incidentally toast was 1.5pence, so 2 tea and 2 toast is just over 3pence which was a pleasant surprise when I found that out.

I’m amazed… Because all that wasted energy should dissipate as heat? Shouldn’t it? And the boxes never feel warm?

I must agree that it doesn’t feel like a 60 Watt bulb oh heat at the back of my units, but I can’t see where else that energy is going. Perhaps a better scientists can enlighten us.

It’s nearly instant as soon as you hit Play and never a problem for me

1 Like

There’s a reason for heat sinks :slight_smile:

3 kw a day…

Surly that would be warm

Where’s the used energy going, considering conservation of energy?

1 Like