TAD ME-1 Speakers

Bear in mind IB, that the same could be said about speakers like ESL-63s which roll off around 200Hz. if I remember right. Yet most users of ESL don’t bother with a sub.

I’d absolutely not assume a sub is needed until after driving them at home for a while. People really do have different tastes and musical preferences that may or may not show up any shortcomings. Saying off the bat “you can’t use them without a sub” is a bit presumptuous.

1 Like

Indeed, and it would have been presumptuous if I had said that - but I didn’t, rather I was specific in referring people wanting the bottom end:

1 Like

I stand corrected :slightly_smiling_face:

No probs :grinning:

I wonder if you really want opinions as you seem set on buying these speakers regardless. If I said that matching such expensive speakers with a Nova was daft, or that buying speakers without trying them at home was daft, would it make any difference?

2 Likes

Well we don’t know where the OP is. Countries where home audition (or even meaningful shop demo) are impossible far outnumber countries where auditioning is possible.

1 Like

Awesome speakers and a great match with Naim! Give them some room to breathe, I’ve heard them on several occasions, in different systems, and the best the sung was with a nap300dr and NDX2-XPSdr. Don’t remember exactly which preamp but a 282-Hc would be a good starting point.

Enjoy your speakers and the journey!

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback guys, and to those that understand that we can’t all follow the “ideal process” for selecting speakers.

I am actually in the UK where dealers do encourage demos and even allow you to take speakers home to demo. But, i had the opportunity to buy these £12,000 speakers for £7,000 if I moved quickly… too good an offer to turn down, I had to take a punt, hence I didn’t go listen to them first.

And, I’m pleased to say, a worthwhile punt, they sound gorgeous!

3 Likes

Good, enjoy the bargain and now please distribute the extra 5000 pounds among the members who bothered to respond despite the fact that you were never planning on considering their input.

1 Like

That’s a bit unfair. All the advice was based on system building principles and secondary experience.

If a member actually posted something like “I’ve tried them with Naim and they just don’t bloody work”, then I’m sure the outcome would have been different.

In the context of future upgrades, I think the OP made a good choice, and specially for the price.
If It should have been a definitive system, I would say bad choice.

I disagree, this depends on your taste and preferred sound characteristics as well. OP seems to be happy with them. :+1:

My opinion only, shared by HH and others. For the price of the nova and 13 k speakers, you can have a supernait 3/ ndx2/ and 4 k speakers, a system much better and better balanced,
Only my opinion, still.

And an XPS dr . SN3 /. Ndx2 / xps dr / 4 k speakers. Vs. Nova/ Tad speakers.

Probably not, because I get the impression they had already been ordered!

They were only £8k.
And if it were me and dream speakers appeared at a bargain price, I too would grab and work out the system later… but only if I knew I’d like the speakers, which means having heard first, or heard something that I had very good reason to be very similar in character, such as maybe a sibling.

1 Like

At the beginning of the thread we didn’t know that. The OP was asking if buying the Tad for his nova is a good choice.

frenchrooster

41m

In the context of future upgrades, I think the OP made a good choice, and specially for the price.
If It should have been a definitive system, I would say bad choice.

1 Like

I know I didn’t explain at the beginning of the thread, was concerned the purchase may fall through. Sorry if it has annoyed anybody.

Thanks to everybody for the advice, I would love to share the savings with you, but will probably need to use it to buy more power … which I will obviously demo first, unless I find a cracking deal :laughing:

Thanks again everybody, Carl

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.