Tangerine Audio Karmen

Originally from London. Another one that got away!

Yes, to me there was a harshness in the treble that the top plate produced and I didn’t hear any advantage over the standard plate. Maybe I’ll revisit it again some day to have a listen again, but I did hear give it a good listen the first time.

Founded by a Hans Wildorf, I believe.

Moved to Switzerland to escape high UK taxes!

Wouldn’t happen today.

The words Rolex and escape have connotations

Hoping you are well and enjoying your Great Escape

best wishes

Ian

1 Like

Thank you, Ian, I am absolutely fine, thanks. Listening to my favourite radio programme of the week, BBC Radio 3’s Record Review, and just about to make myself a cappuccino.

Yes, Rolex famously supplied watches to Allied prisoners in Nazi POW camps during World War 2, and deferred payment until the POWs had been repatriated after the end of the War.

History doesn’t relate what would have happened if the Nazis had prevailed.

1 Like

Just arrived……a triangular block of aluminium that sits on your record and makes things better………NO, it’s not an April Fool’s Day joke. Initial “with & without” tests show a clear improvement. Tangerine Audio Evenstar.

Looking forward to an elongated session this evening with my favourite albums.

Probably the easiest “user-installed” LP12 upgrade I’ve ever done.:rofl:

Nice packaging from Tangerine Audio too.

Thank you to Wayne at Cymbiosis for shipping this to me only hours after you received your order from TA.

2 Likes

Ooh…do tell more later.

When playing The Dark Side of the Moon, make sure you align it with the prism on the label.

3 Likes

Scottish ones sound much better and are available free from beer gardens up here. :+1:t2:

IMG_6056

3 Likes

And when they say it weighs 118 grams………guess what???..….

3 Likes

They missed a trick - the inside hollowed pyramid could have had the :arrow_right: :small_red_triangle::rainbow:

What a tie in for the first 50 made…

I’m a big fan of Tangerine products, love my Stiletto, Skorpion, Eklipse LP12 but whatever improvements the Evenstar might bring it would never, ever, sit on my records. I really enjoy my labels, the 3 pink Islands, blue triangle, Vertigo etc. and to obscure them with this would be a crime in my books. I don’t like the deep platter on the Solstice but it looks better than my LP12 would look with this spinning atop a record !! Rant over, and of course that’s just my opinion.

3 Likes

With you blacksheep :+1:

These record weights were a great April fool. :rofl:
Even more convincing looking like some had bought one. :+1:t2:
I just found one over 40 years old I had on my first Technics.

1 Like

Worth a read……

https://the-ear.net/review-hardware/tangerine-audio-evenstar-upgrades-lp12/

3 Likes

I am not a fan of the Solstice deep platter - I think it makes the deck look very top heavy (which it may be, for all that I know).

I am also surprised about these sorts of upgrades. Taking the Naim stance about modifications (as god and Linn intended and all that), I wonder about changes to the LP12 as well. Then again there was a change to the top plate with an extra bolt. I honestly can’t say anything about what these modifications bring though.

That said, maybe Linn will bring out such upgrades for the 50th anniversary and charge an arm and a kidney for it :flushed::rofl:

1 Like

from what I understand the 50th is going to be very special and expensive

on updgrades Karmen is the benchmark which took over from TP Khan - I have travelled through the Linn updgrade path with my LP12 and it’s now finished - as with NAIM when you move up through source, Pre or AMP it’s just more music

I had the kore for a few years and then demo the Keel - what an uprgade!

2 Likes

Interesting. I thought the change was big to the Kore and no so big going to the Keel. Funny how these things change. I guess you don’t do these upgrades based on forum opinions but using your own ears

2 Likes

Exactly what I found the Kore must have done around 75% of what the Keel does in instant upgrade but must say that Keel added that 25% to really polish the upgrade hierarchy.
Diminishing returns at play but well worth the result and great support from a professional dealer is vital. :+1:t2:

1 Like