Tangerine Audio Karmen

no, no and thankfully doing well despite losing Derek.

3 Likes

Yorkshireman, I have to be neutral out of respect to the Mods. Here is some info but no opinions… added in from me :slight_smile:

The Evenstar weights 118 gm, it is machined from a solid billet of aluminium, anodised and finished in satin silver.

The side that makes contact with the vinyl rests on three machined lands. The topside has a machined out recess, which aids weight distribution, and provides a gentle down force.

The point is to stabilise the record on the mat and make the job of the stylus more optimal.

Apparently, there are no adverse affects on the suspension or bearing.

In theory it may help lots of vinyl players, not just the LP12 although this is what it was designed to work with.

KR

Peter

3 Likes

I have the Khan, the predecessor to the Karmen, on my deck in silver. It was added by my dealer (Accent on Music) many years ago now as a separate upgrade, and I recall what a difference it made to the sound at the time; snapping it more into focus. No regrets fitting it (and I’ve never bothered listening to the Karmen, so can’t comment on how it compares), but I believe the Khan was a Tiger Paw product and the Karmen came from the Tangerine stable designed by the same people.

1 Like

I have had the TA Karmen top plate on my LP12 for a couple of years now and love it. It was expertly fitted by Peter at Cymbiosis and is the black anodised finish. I found it a noticeable improvement on the original Linn top plate (that I’d had for 38 years at the time). It delivers a more solid base due to the machining from a solid billet of aluminium (I think?).

My music was more detailed and the whole solidity of the deck was better.

Looks nice in black too.

I would recommend you audition a demo to decide for yourself.

6 Likes

Yes a very much refined product. BTW - related subject; I was with David and Alma (good friends of mine despite the geography) on Monday and I was so glad to see David was doing so well after his motorbike accident a few years ago… It was a big one :frowning: KR, Peter

2 Likes

It was a really bad one, poor bloke.
They are simply the most delightful people and it’s so good to see David back to being fighting fit again.

1 Like

A lot of money I’m sure Graham, but total it up and divide by 50 for an Annual cost: money well spent?

3 Likes

Undoubtedly one of my best ever buys. I can’t think of much else that has given so much pleasure over the years - my Rolex Milgauss and La Pavoni coffee machine, perhaps.

All fantastic designs, as it happens.

I had a Tiger Paw Khan several years ago. It was one of those changes that sounded great initially, but less so over time, to the point that I wanted to reinstate the original top plate. I still remember the feeling of relief after my dealer put the original plate back in. No regrets.

I realise that the majority are happy with their Khans and Karmens, and the chances are you will too. But I’d strongly recommend an audition before making the jump. For good or ill, it really does change the presentation of the LP12.

As an aside, I’ve always been irritated by a certain “religious” attitude that surround the LP12, a kind of artificial mystique from the heyday of the whole Flat Earth thing, and therefore I’ve always been open to giving different components a shot. But in the space of a year I tried the Khan, the Skale counterweight, and a third party mat whose name I’ve forgotten. All are long gone from my system, and none are missed (the Skale makes an excellent paperweight). That’s not to say that I’ve gone to the other extreme, but I would be more cautious in future in considering third party components for my Linn.

4 Likes

Hearing first is always a good idea.

4 Likes

Hang on to that Rolex Milgauss, its discontinued I see!

I don’t need to be told that twice. It’s away to Rolex for its first ever service, and I feel bereft without it.

I wasn’t aware that it had been discontinued - but I suppose that that will drive up second hand values (not that I would ever sell mine).

I’m having to slum it, while the Milgauss is away, with an IWC Portuguese.

2 Likes

@Yorkshireman

I am going over to @Cymbiosis tomorrow to hear, will post on seperate thread my thoughts

3 Likes

I can’t see any pics or info on the internet about the the Evenstar, maybe some pics (if allowed by Peter) would be good/beneficial to go along with your listening impressions…

Antz normally takes lots of pictures and that’s absolutely fine :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Here is a pic of it…

Apologies if not “allowed”…

4 Likes

As with the HRS anti-vibration device aimed at suspended decks, stand by for vigorous comment from those who have not heard it!

2 Likes

Intriguing…I assume not yet available?

It is available from Cymbiosis…

1 Like

Thanks. Can’t find it on the website. Maybe it’s too new - I’ll await a site update.